Old 10-04-2003, 04:20 AM

Default Shrub ideas - south central Wisconsin

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:19:18 GMT

dont forget jack in the pulpits. they get HUGE. Ingrid

"Shelly" wrote:
I guess I was just jumping the gun and trying to sneak in a few more
non-natives before they take over! You are right, though. A lot of
natives are lovely, and I shouldn't have discounted them so readily.

Thanks for the suggestions!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Pam

paghat wrote:

In article , Pam wrote:

For year round appearance, at least a few (if not most) of your
foundation shrubs should be evergreen.

pam - gardengal

I've not found this to be the essential approach.

While it all comes down ultimately to a matter of personal taste, landscape
design principles generally approach the planting of the entry to one's
residence (front garden) to have a more uniformly year round appearance, thus
the emphasis on evergreen plant material. I agree that, particularly in colder
climates than the maritime Northwest, deciduous shrubs offer more seasonal
color and interest than do the evergreen, few of which are both hardy AND
flower in colder zones. However, few of us that live in very temperate
climates realize how long and cold and snowy northern winters can be and how
much more satisfying it is to look out on a winter garden that has some
interest other than a collection of bare sticks and naked branches.

pam - gardengal

Old 10-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Warren

Pam wrote:

[...]

I'd agree.

My sister moved from the Puget Sound, WA area to the Baltimore, MD area.
She was disappointed when she realized that the landscaping for their
new home was nearly devoid of evergreens, and all she had in the winter
were sticks.

We had grown-up in Wisconsin, and while our memories get more and more
selective as the years go on, our memories from growing up was that
everyone had some evergreens in front of their houses. Pictures we have
seem to confirm this was the de facto rule in Wisconsin.

I remember a story about somebody who lived on the Wisconsin-Illinois
state line. For years and years, everyone thought his property was in
Wisconsin. Then one year, when doing a survey, they found his property
was actually in Illinois. When he was asked what he thought about
suddenly becoming a resident of Illinois he said, "At least I won't have
to live through another one of those damn Wisconsin winters!"

(Okay, okay. I didn't say it actually happened. I just said I remember a
story.)

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 10-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Shelly

wrote in message
yeah.. we had 6 inches here. it is melting fast, altho we are now in the

inversion.
warmer at night but cooler during the day than 15 miles west. it snowed

right on all
my snow drops and crocuses and the daffodils are in bud. the lilacs are

swelling. I
think we are in for some warmer weather this next week. about TIME.

Ingrid

Oh, inversion. I remember that so well from my days living in Shorewood!
Enjoy your spring bulbs! I was really glad to see my daffies and crocuses
were all fine this morning now that the snow has melted. Now I'm just trying
not to get my hopes up that that was the last of the winter weather...

Old 10-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Shelly

"Warren" wrote in message
.net...
We had grown-up in Wisconsin, and while our memories get more and more
selective as the years go on, our memories from growing up was that
everyone had some evergreens in front of their houses. Pictures we have
seem to confirm this was the de facto rule in Wisconsin.

I would say your memory is right on there. I would say the norm here is to
use only evergreens for foundation plantings. And, I would say, a majority
or significant minority of those with only evergreens have one type of
evergreen sheared into a hedge along the foundation. A few people use a mix
of evergreens and deciduous shrubs, and in the neighborhood I live in, there
seem to be a lot of houses that have just a big patch of native prairie
perennials around the foundation. I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of
this last look, precisely because of the way it looks in winter.

The joke about the Illinois/Wisconsin border was cute by the way!

Old 10-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Shelly

"Pam" wrote in message
However, few of us that live in very temperate
climates realize how long and cold and snowy northern winters can be and

how
much more satisfying it is to look out on a winter garden that has some
interest other than a collection of bare sticks and naked branches.

pam - gardengal

Boy, do you ever have that right! Lately, though, they haven't been very
snowy in the Midwest...just long and cold and ugly brown.