Old 18-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
born in brooklyn

Default deer and rabbit repellent

Last summer (2005) I purchased a product on line to repel deer and it
was very effective. It was a tightly woven "donut" of some kind of
hair-I'm guessing bear hair because it was dark and a bit wirey. The
product may have been called "Stay Away", but I can't find it this
year. Anyone else know about this product?

Old 18-04-2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
readandpostrosie

yesterday, someone recommended INVISIBLE FENCE for this.............anyone
use it?

--
..
..

ups.com...

Old 18-04-2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung

"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
yesterday, someone recommended INVISIBLE FENCE for this.............anyone
use it?

yeah, but it was a real pain to get the electronic collar on the deer and
rabbits! :-)

Old 18-04-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

Did you ever hear of a 30-30. Works fast and sure.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 19-04-2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
readandpostrosie

thanks!

--
..
..

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
Did you ever hear of a 30-30. Works fast and sure.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 19-04-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
newsreader

readandpostrosie wrote:
yesterday, someone recommended INVISIBLE FENCE for this.............anyone
use it?

We had pretty good results with Invisible Fence (the liquid kind). You
have to apply it pretty regularly, particularly if it rains a bunch.
Old 19-04-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

"born in brooklyn" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last summer (2005) I purchased a product on line to repel deer and it
was very effective. It was a tightly woven "donut" of some kind of
hair-I'm guessing bear hair because it was dark and a bit wirey. The
product may have been called "Stay Away", but I can't find it this
year. Anyone else know about this product?

unwashed human hair, most likely. You can get it at barber shops and put it
into nylons and put it in the garden.

---The city here put out a list of deer repellents and their effectiveness -
(don't ask how they got the effectiveness numbers - I couldn't say.)

unwashed human hair was 20% effective.

putrified egg solids and garlic liquid repellent - 50% effective (this has
worked well for me)

the "other liquid" repellent - 50% effective

capsecum and other "natural" repellents - 10% effective

dog over 10 pounds loose in the same enclosure - 100% effective

---the city did not include the electric fence - 100% effective

(note that these fences come in sizes rated for containing small pets to
charging wooly bison - the pet type do not kill birds, while the 14,000 volt
300-miles-of-fence wooly-ram-stopping type will kill cats, rabbits,
squirrels, and small dogs.
I had used the pet-type fence for years - Once a few of the deer in the
herd get stung, then - assuming you don't have the only food in town - all
that is needed is to put up the white stakes and leave off the wire for that
season. They associate the stakes with the shock, apparently and won't go
within ten feet of the stakes.
Unfortunately, the city has just banned any electric fences, and the
once-large flower gardens of the inner-ring suburb of 20,000 are being
abandoned because of 30 deer.)

[IMG] code is On

How do you make rabbit/mole repellent with egg? James Edible Gardening 2 23-07-2005 11:13 AM
Deer repellent cpemberton Roses 6 18-04-2004 06:08 AM
insecticide as deer repellent? King Jake Lawns 0 06-04-2004 09:29 PM
Better Rabbit trap for those with rabbit problems Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 7 20-02-2004 10:02 PM
Another Deer Repellent Bob Batson Gardening 0 24-07-2003 09:02 PM