Old 20-04-2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
MaxMustermann

Default Basil problems

Hi,

I've got two different kinds of basil plants. The first is the Magical
Michael type that I grew from seeds just before winter, obviously
indoors and in pots, and it now reached about 30cm. The second kind is
normal italian basil that I bought from the local supermarket.

All plants go quite 'bushy' so I decided to remove the big and medium
leaves to make pesto! That turned out good!!

Anyways... the magical michael ones have leaves where black spots (5mm
dia approx) appearing on them. They're not dark black spots but
slightly paler.

Furthermore, both kinds have more leaves turning into a golden-brown
color.

I do water the plants lightly once a day in the morning, and they get
no water in the weeekend.

Am I doing something wrong, is this a fungal infection, overwatering,
or what?

Thanks,
Max

btw... I'm around Frankfurt, Germany!

Old 21-04-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

MaxMustermann wrote:
[...]

If the potting mix is moist, don't water. If the time of frost is past,
you should move them outdoors.

Basil is an annual, living for only one growing season. You can prolong
the life of the plant by removing all flower buds before they open.
This also improves the flavor since the leaves might get bitter if the
plant is allowed to flower. But eventually, you will have to discard
the plants and start over.

I just bought a small plastic pot of basil this week, along with dill
and sage. I plan to move them to larger pots tomorrow. At first, they
will be on my patio, which is in shade most of the day. After they
recover from being repotted, I will move them to where my other herbs
are in pots, out in the sun.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 1 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
basil problems Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 2 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 09:11 AM