Old 21-04-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default elderberry in salty soil?

Anybody know whether an elderberry plant can tolerate salty soil?

I have an area near the driveway, about 2 feet by 4 feet, which has
nothing but dirt and rocks. It gets a lot of road salt draining into
it, in the winter. I'd like to put something in it, which will be
between 3 and 20 feet tall.

Will an elderberry do well? If not, what do you recommend?

Thank you for all answers!

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

Old 21-04-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know whether an elderberry plant can tolerate salty soil?

I have an area near the driveway, about 2 feet by 4 feet, which has
nothing but dirt and rocks. It gets a lot of road salt draining into
it, in the winter. I'd like to put something in it, which will be
between 3 and 20 feet tall.

Will an elderberry do well? If not, what do you recommend?

Thank you for all answers!

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

Did you try adding some sugar to sweeten it up a little?

Old 21-04-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Doug Kanter wrote:

Did you try adding some sugar to sweeten it up a little?

Hmmm. Did I reach rec.gardens, or rec.cooking?

Ted Shoemaker

Old 26-04-2006, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'd go with a pine, probably Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta). Here in
Oregon it grows readily in sandy soils about as close to the ocean as
you can get, which includes getting salt spray. But we have a lot of
acidic rainfall as well, which can change salt pretty quickly.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

[IMG] code is On

Salty flower. Sack Of Gold Gardening 1 29-04-2010 12:34 AM
A bucket of salty slugs and snails Yellow United Kingdom 53 19-06-2009 07:33 PM
have a day or two, to think about it "Salty" .. not happy Gardening 2 21-05-2004 10:02 AM
A question for "Salty Thumb". not happy Gardening 6 21-05-2004 02:02 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM