Old 13-06-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bucket of salty slugs and snails

After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?
Old 13-06-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

compost heap? bury them!

Old 13-06-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

Collect in a bucket

Boiling water poured over them (No salt)

Compost heap

:-))

Mike

Old 13-06-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

compost heap?

I do not have a compost heap. Unfortunately I do not have the room nor
do I have the waste to put on it as I have a relatively small garden
with no grass.

Just a couple beds and lots of pots. :-)

bury them!

It is the saltiness of the water rather than the bodies that is causing
me concern - would it be ok to pour that on to my garden?
Old 13-06-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' ] said:

My news reader doesn't seem to want to quote you which is a bit odd but
anyways....

Boiling water, let it cool and then just bury the bodies?

Old 13-06-2009, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Yellow" wrote in message
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

compost heap?

I do not have a compost heap. Unfortunately I do not have the room nor
do I have the waste to put on it as I have a relatively small garden
with no grass.

Just a couple beds and lots of pots. :-)

bury them!

It is the saltiness of the water rather than the bodies that is causing
me concern - would it be ok to pour that on to my garden?

Garden Path?
Car Hardstanding?
Road?

Let the birds pick at them. This is the alternative we do for the odd few.

Mike

Old 13-06-2009, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yellow wrote:
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty
water to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

compost heap?

I do not have a compost heap. Unfortunately I do not have the room nor
do I have the waste to put on it as I have a relatively small garden
with no grass.

Just a couple beds and lots of pots. :-)

bury them!

It is the saltiness of the water rather than the bodies that is
causing me concern - would it be ok to pour that on to my garden?

NO! Not on your garden. The salt will kill everything in sight. I'd say a
street drain............but that's illegal, so I didn't say it
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 13-06-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Pete C" wrote in message

Yellow wrote:
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
[...]

So next time, use boiling water :-))

Mike

Old 13-06-2009, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C ] said:

Yellow wrote:
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty
water to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

compost heap?

I do not have a compost heap. Unfortunately I do not have the room nor
do I have the waste to put on it as I have a relatively small garden
with no grass.

Just a couple beds and lots of pots. :-)

bury them!

It is the saltiness of the water rather than the bodies that is
causing me concern - would it be ok to pour that on to my garden?

NO! Not on your garden. The salt will kill everything in sight. I'd say a
street drain............but that's illegal, so I didn't say it

That's what I am thinking too to be honest and I might just be taking a
wander out sometime after 10.

And before anyone asks no, I will not be doing this again!
Old 13-06-2009, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

Yellow wrote:
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
[...]

But salt them after cooking
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 13-06-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

'Mike' wrote:

Yellow wrote:
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
[...]

Drain contents over sink (that's legal) flash-fry in garlic butter. Now the
tricky bit - do you 'ave any French neighbours?

Nathaniel
..

Old 13-06-2009, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

I have just returned from an evening stroll round the garden by torchlight.
Unwanted diners upon my lettuces, chard & pak choi were taken to the stream
at the end of the garden and given a swimming lesson. One 'swimmer' was a
slug the thickness of my middle finger and the length of my hand. But
between them the hens, frogs & toads seem to be keeping a decent check on
the number of unwanted diners. This is a good thing.

Old 13-06-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yellow wrote:
'Mike' ] said:

My news reader doesn't seem to want to quote you which is a bit odd but
anyways....

Boiling water, let it cool and then just bury the bodies?

Remember to do it late at night when it is dark, use a torch and say
aloud "Where shall we bury the bodies?" within earshot of neighbours. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 14-06-2009, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yellow wrote:
'Mike' ] said:

My news reader doesn't seem to want to quote you which is a bit odd but
anyways....

It's not your news reader that's odd - it's (paranoid) 'Mike' (AKA Uncle
Albert)that's 'odd'

Salty flower. Sack Of Gold Gardening 1 29-04-2010 12:34 AM
elderberry in salty soil? [email protected] Gardening 3 26-04-2006 05:46 AM
have a day or two, to think about it "Salty" .. not happy Gardening 2 21-05-2004 10:02 AM
A question for "Salty Thumb". not happy Gardening 6 21-05-2004 02:02 AM
Snails and slugs George D Permaculture 0 29-10-2002 03:27 AM