Old 23-04-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Starting lots of seeds outdoors before planting?

"Oldtimer" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:44:23 -0500, Mama Bear
wrote:

I'm in the Denver area. We're having an early spring this year,
it's been warm. 80 today.

I want to get massive amounts of seeds started outdoors before
planting them in the garden. So I need gentle sun but not full hot
dry sun.

What would be the best way to do this while still keeping birds and
squirrels out of it?

I'm thinking of building a potting table with an outside edge, and
then putting a seed sprouting bed in the center area, covered with
a 1/4" wirecloth squares hinged top.

I have no idea on the birds or squirls, but something I would like to
point out about sprouting seed outdoors, on a potting table.

In Denver, this time of year, I think your results will be poor.

Reason: Your soil will cool to the outside temperature at night(not
the ground temperature).

Nature uses temperature and moisture as a "key" to tell a seed when to
germinate. Example: Crabgrass seed will germinate when ground
temperature remains above 50F for 5 consecutive nights(if there is
sufficient moisture). Every species has it't own reqirement.

Good luck on your project. Oldtimer.

I agree, with regard to temperatures. If the OP still wants to try this, she
should get a roll of fence wire and create cages over the table. Attach dark
window screen or burlap to the cages to shade the seedlings. She should also
keep in mind that the pots of 6-packs may still dry out very quickly, just
due to wind, unless she's home all day, every day, to water them.

Bad idea, probably.