Old 17-02-2010, 11:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default When do you start tomato seeds/when do you set them outdoors?

Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before
you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last
expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that to be
safe making my outside planting date May 22nd. Lets jump backwards 6-8
weeks, and I will be starting my seeds between late March and early
April. Below is a link to a page that is all about starting tomato
seeds indoors. I hope it helps, and good luck in your garden!
http://sites.google.com/site/thetomatogardener/
Old 18-02-2010, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 4:10*pm, dave213 wrote:
Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before
you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last
expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that to be
safe making my outside planting date May 22nd. Lets jump backwards 6-8
weeks, and I will be starting my seeds between late March and early
April. Below is a link to a page that is all about starting tomato
seeds indoors. I hope it helps, and good luck in your garden!http://sites..google.com/site/thetomatogardener/

Great article! Thanks for sharing.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 6:10*pm, dave213 wrote:
Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before
you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last
expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that to be
safe making my outside planting date May 22nd. Lets jump backwards 6-8
weeks, and I will be starting my seeds between late March and early
April. Below is a link to a page that is all about starting tomato
seeds indoors. I hope it helps, and good luck in your garden!http://sites..google.com/site/thetomatogardener/

Thanks for the information!
Old 18-02-2010, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dave213 wrote in news:c68aef4c-51a0-4f95-9d52-
:

Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before
you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last
expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that to be
safe making my outside planting date May 22nd. Lets jump backwards 6-8
weeks, and I will be starting my seeds between late March and early
April. Below is a link to a page that is all about starting tomato
seeds indoors. I hope it helps, and good luck in your garden!
http://sites.google.com/site/thetomatogardener/

That is more or less when I start mine. The weather here can be quite
fickle into early June, but late May is usually a safe time to put tomatoes
outside. I find my eggplants and peppers grow slower, but they are also
less tolerant to cold weather, so I plant them at the same time as the
tomatos and keep them indoors a few more weeks. Eggplants around here just
sit and do nothing until it is nice and warm (except maybe get chewed on by
flea beetles), and I've learned the hard way to keep them inside a few more
weeks and well sprayed with need when I put them out. Tomatoes shoot up
like crazy even in cool weather.

Anyone know of any cold tolerant eggplants or peppers? I've not found any.
All it takes is a cold June and my eggplants and peppers won't produce
until towards the end of the season. There have been years when my
red/gold/etc peppers never turned color before the cold weather set in.
Old 19-02-2010, 10:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 6:10*pm, dave213 wrote:
Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before
you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last
expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that to be
safe making my outside planting date May 22nd. Lets jump backwards 6-8
weeks, and I will be starting my seeds between late March and early
April. Below is a link to a page that is all about starting tomato
seeds indoors. I hope it helps, and good luck in your garden!http://sites..google.com/site/thetomatogardener/

Great information and knowledge you have, thank you!

Old 19-02-2010, 10:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

You should not plant tomato seeds or seedlings outside before the last
frost as frost will kill the plant. Start the seed in a planter
indoors about 6 weeks prior to when you will be planting it outdoors.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 6:10*pm, dave213 wrote:
Zootal and Jmac, Tomato seeds can be started indoors 6-8 weeks before
you expect to set them outside. I live in Philadelphia, and my last
expected frost date is May 15th. So I will add a week to that to be
safe making my outside planting date May 22nd. Lets jump backwards 6-8
weeks, and I will be starting my seeds between late March and early
April. Below is a link to a page that is all about starting tomato
seeds indoors. I hope it helps, and good luck in your garden!http://sites..google.com/site/thetomatogardener/

Thanks for the tips! Great advice.