Old 23-04-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Starting lots of seeds outdoors before planting?

I agree with the others and suggest starting your seeds indoors where the
temperature is more steady. You can move them outside right after they have
sprouted.

If space indoors is a problem, start many together in a light starter medium
like vermiculite, peat moss, or perlite and distribute the seedlings into
their growing pots after they have sprouted.

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
I'm in the Denver area. We're having an early spring this year,
it's been warm. 80 today.

I want to get massive amounts of seeds started outdoors before
planting them in the garden. So I need gentle sun but not full hot
dry sun.

What would be the best way to do this while still keeping birds and
squirrels out of it?

I'm thinking of building a potting table with an outside edge, and
then putting a seed sprouting bed in the center area, covered with
a 1/4" wirecloth squares hinged top.

--
- Mama Bear

Old 24-04-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

That sounds fine, but it doesn't sound like it will help with the problem of
something digging them up and eating them after they're in the ground.
Good luck with that aspect.

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
"Andrew Ostrander" wrote :

I agree with the others and suggest starting your seeds
indoors where the temperature is more steady. You can move
them outside right after they have sprouted.

I tried that with some peat pots indoors, but as soon as I put the
seedlings out, something is digging them up and/or eating them out
there. Squirrels? I mean I'm finding holes in the ground where I
planted the seedlings in the peat pots. Or eaten off tops.

So I'm thinking that I could start the seeds indoors, but I still
need a protected table with 1/4" wire cloth screen over it, to let
them get bigger before planing them in the ground. I might report
them there and let them grow into good sized seedlings before
actually planting?

--
- Mama Bear

Old 24-04-2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Well, 6 inch plants will be six times more tasty than 1 inch plants.
You should try
planting inside a wire cage. I find the squirrels are reluctant to go
inside these cages,
possibly because they suspect it is some kind of trap. If that doesn't
stop them, you
will have to enclose the tops, as well.

Sherwin D.

Mama Bear wrote:

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote :

That sounds fine, but it doesn't sound like it will help with
the problem of something digging them up and eating them after
they're in the ground. Good luck with that aspect.

Well if I can get them to be 6" tall instead of 1" tall, I think
they'd have a better chance.

--
- Mama Bear