Old 24-04-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Give Me Your Ideas/Tips on Building a Pond

Idea: I want to build a little (250-300 gallon) pond in the backyard of
my suburban north-Florida home.

Question 1: Will this little pond be a serious haven for mosquitoes and
every other nasty, winged insect (including fire ants that love black
plastic like my planned pond liner spread over the ground)?

Location: My backyard is fully fenced-in (5-foot high wood fence) and
is located in the middle of a residential area. The site I selected is
about 30-35 feet away from my patio area, and one end will be located
at the top of a hill the other end will be about 5"-6" lower. I
figured I can just berm up the lower end. Then drape the end of the
plastic pond liner over the top of the berm to hold the berm in place.
(The soil in my yard, like most of Florida, is very sandy.) There'll
be a small (8-foot high) Dogwood tree located on the south side and a
section of my backyard's fence will be located west side of the pond
and will shade the later evening sun. In all, the pond will probably
get about 6 hours of direct sun and a couple hours of semi-shaded.

Questions 2 & 3: Is this location okay? Or will it get too much sun...
and end up being green, algae-filled swamp in a matter of weeks?

To add interest to my little pond, and to keep the bug population in
check, I figured I'd add some inhabitants. I figured the best thing
to add would be some local tadpoles, minnows (little bluegills/panfish
or whatever they're called in this part of the country) a couple
adult frogs, and maybe a turtle or two.

Questions 4 , 5 & 6: Best to stay with local creatures, right? What do
you think about adding some African Cichlids (in place of the local
fish), from a tropical fish store? Cichlids are tough little fish,
surely they could survive in my pond, right?

I also want a little water fall on one end of the pond.

Questions 7, 8 & 9: How gallon-per-hour pump should I use? How many
hours a day should the pump run? Should my pond have some sort of
filtration system?

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

Please give me your thoughts, ideas and experiences.

Patrick

Old 24-04-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Patrick-
I have a small pond in my back yard of about that size. I have it
stocked with gold fish, and have no problems with mosquitos or winged
pests. In actuality, if you have a pond with fish in it, it works as a
mosquito trap. . .The fish eat mosquito larvae as part of their diet;-)

Myrl
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 24-04-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

They are worthwhile. However, I would strongly suggest that you either hit
the library, or invest in a book or two. You'd need to do this in order to
have a successful aquarium indoors. This is the same, but with more factors
involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a
newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

Old 24-04-2006, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

They are worthwhile. However, I would strongly suggest that you either hit
the library, or invest in a book or two. You'd need to do this in order to
have a successful aquarium indoors. This is the same, but with more factors
involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a
newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

Thanks for the reply, Doug!

I've had considerable expirence with tropical fish. In the past I've
owned a 29, 55 and 100 gallon aquariums. I've sucessfully raised
numerous varieties including Killifish and Cichlids. However, this
will be my first outdoor pond. I've been reading info from numerous
sources, but would like to converse with someone who has some
first-hand practical expirience. Do you have any other info to share?

Patrick

Old 24-04-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

I found a good little pond instruction book at my local Home Depot here
in Sacramento. Also, our Home Depot and Lowes, has a variety of poly
ponds in a variety of shapes and sizes. That is what my pond is. I
dug a hole in a desireable place, put the pond form in, with the top of
it being a couple of inches above the grade of the ground. Then I
placed small stone shaped stepping stones along the edge to give it a
more finished look.

Home Depot also sold the pumps in various sizes and function to select
from. The pumps are very easy to install, and come with their own
instructions. I selected a little pump and hooked it up to a spitting
frog which spits the water into the pond.

Here's a link to a picture of my pond:
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com/pond.htm

I've had it about 4 years now. . .It's been very little work to
maintain. Other than a few blown in leaves in Autumn.

I suggest visiting Home Depot or your local Garden Center. . .Locating
a Sunset book on Ponds and Fountains. . .and then have a whole lot of
fun! You can do it easily in a day!

Myrl
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 24-04-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat

wrote in message
ups.com...
Idea: I want to build a little (250-300 gallon) pond in the backyard of
my suburban north-Florida home.

Question 1: Will this little pond be a serious haven for mosquitoes and
every other nasty, winged insect (including fire ants that love black
plastic like my planned pond liner spread over the ground)?

Maybe. Fish eat bugs.

[...]

Sun encourages algae.

To add interest to my little pond, and to keep the bug population in
check, I figured I'd add some inhabitants. I figured the best thing
to add would be some local tadpoles, minnows (little bluegills/panfish
or whatever they're called in this part of the country) a couple
adult frogs, and maybe a turtle or two.

Questions 4 , 5 & 6: Best to stay with local creatures, right? What do
you think about adding some African Cichlids (in place of the local
fish), from a tropical fish store? Cichlids are tough little fish,
surely they could survive in my pond, right?

Cichlids would probably survive in Florida. I like cheap goldfish. You
don't mind replacing them when they get eaten. Koi tame easily. Colored
fish help you see them. You may never see your cichlids again after adding
them.

I also want a little water fall on one end of the pond.

Questions 7, 8 & 9: How gallon-per-hour pump should I use?

One rule of thumb is to pump your total pond gallons every hour. You may
need to pump more for a successful waterfall.

How many
hours a day should the pump run?

24 hours 7 days a week probably cost $30 a month or so

Should my pond have some sort of
filtration system?

Filters are essential if you have critters. Plan on several big ones.

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

I like them.

Please give me your thoughts, ideas and experiences.

Bottom drains make the cleaning chores much easier.

Patrick

Old 24-04-2006, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It depends on the nutrient level in the water, if you add any fertiliser for
water plants (or it runs in of your lawn for instance) or you add fish food,
or allow fallen leaves etc to rot in the pond then the nutrients will
encourage algae. I put some tubs of water lillies in a small pool, these
were prepared with rotted manure and blood and bone as lillies are gross
feeders, the water turned bright green in a week.

The solution is not algicide but a large graded box filter as part of your
pump line, it will remove both rotting organic matter and the algae given
time to develop. Talk to your local ornamental pool place - a good one will
not only sell you the right stuff but advise you sensibly.

David

Old 24-04-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

..... involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a
newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

There is/was a great news group for backyard ponds.
rec.ponds
but the trolls have taken it over and just about ruined it.
You still may be able to gather information there especially if you
search old messages.
If you post there be warned and do not ever respond to a troll even
if they have forged ID that resembles a normal poster.
I've had a successful 200 gal pond for 6 years and I got nearly all
my information from that group.
I've also got a home made filter system that works pretty well and
found out what I needed to know about that at rec.ponds
and finally.....

I use mag/drive type pumps.
I have 2 rio 2100s. (600 gal/hour each)
They use less than 40 watts each.
This is much less than $30/month mentioned earlier!
(at an astronomical power rate of 10¢ per KWH this is less
than $6 a month.)

If you are a DIYer and willing to build your own system you can have
a nice pond fairly cheaply. Go browse back a couple years in the
rec.ponds news group.
Good luck.

Dan D. Kentucky USA
http://ky-dan.com

Old 24-04-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Actually, no. My ex-wife was in charge of the pond. So she dealt with algae
issues (which were never a constant problem). And, since we're in upstate
NY, and she didn't want to dig the pond below the frost line, there were no
local species in the pond (not intentionally, at least). Just goldfish. She
spent a lot of time with books on the subject until it became second nature
to understand the issues involved.

Two tips:
If you have any animal neighbors around which eat fish, they will probably
visit your pond from time to time. We watched one day as a seagull made off
with a goldfish. Another time, she lost half her fish in one night. Probably
a raccoon. I was asked to construct a lightweight screen cover using 1x1
wood and chicken wire, which she'd put over the pond at certain times
determined by factors ranging from intuition to the time of year.

Heat: Think about the species you're hoping to keep in the pond, and be
prepared to make quick design changes to keep the temperature in a range
that won't kill them. This means choosing the right depth, something you
can't change easily after the pond's finished. Others include the right
plants & structures both inside & outside the pond, for shade purposes.

Old 24-04-2006, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

actually. there is better information from the PEOPLE on rec.ponds than in some of
those silly books on ponds that simply regurgitate the same bogus information from
the last round of books.
the first decision is if you want a pond with a few fish or you want a pond FOR fish,
cause how they are sized and built is different.
Ingrid

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

They are worthwhile. However, I would strongly suggest that you either hit
the library, or invest in a book or two. You'd need to do this in order to
have a successful aquarium indoors. This is the same, but with more factors
involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a
newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 24-04-2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

the trolls have mostly gone elsewhere (altho there are still some need deleting).
you seriously need to talk to people on rec.ponds who live in the same hot area of
the country you do before putting ina pond. Ingrid

wrote:
There is/was a great news group for backyard ponds.
rec.ponds
but the trolls have taken it over and just about ruined it.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 24-04-2006, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

No... ponds with any kind of fish are not havens for nasty bugs.
you might consider a nice waterfall dropping into the pond. and rather than berms, I
constructed a stud wall so my pond is 1.5 feet out of the ground.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes.htm
INgrid

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 24-04-2006, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Perhaps, but:

- At some point, a pond owner may have to very quickly understand the
chemistry of the water, in order to solve a problem that's going to kill the
fish beginning tomorrow, or later today. It's good to have the knowledge and
resources instantly at hand.

- Regurgitated info: Newsgroups are as likely to exhibit this as any book
you might find.

wrote in message
actually. there is better information from the PEOPLE on rec.ponds than
in some of
those silly books on ponds that simply regurgitate the same bogus
information from
the last round of books.
the first decision is if you want a pond with a few fish or you want a
pond FOR fish,
cause how they are sized and built is different.
Ingrid

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Question 10 & a bonus: Are ponds worthwhile or are they more bother
than they're worth?

They are worthwhile. However, I would strongly suggest that you either hit
the library, or invest in a book or two. You'd need to do this in order to
have a successful aquarium indoors. This is the same, but with more
factors
involved. If you think you're going to get enough information in a
newsgroup, you may as well forget the idea.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 24-04-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

???
I just dropped by rec.ponds
4 of the 1st 6 new posts are crap.
It looks the same to me..... what a shame.

There are still good people there but many are lurking in the
background.
And you can use google groups search feature to find lots of good info.

Old 24-04-2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Make the edges of your pond not vertical 180 to say 120 degrees. This
way Ice can rise up and down instead of side ways. Very important with
concrete ponds.
I use a horse water heater so the issue is mute here in zone five.
Comes on at 35 degrees and is really meant for horse water buckets but
it does the job and my Koi winter over with no problems.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade