Old 26-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Leeds
Default Advice on suitable hedging for small garden

We have a small garden which is surrounded by a 3ft fence I built around 10 years ago. We have a conifer hedge growing along one side of the fence and although I keep the height in check at 5-6ft, the bottom branches are semi dead providing a poor appearance.

We would like to remove the conifers and plant something else. Ideally the replacement would be inexpensive to purchase, evergreen, attractive, quick growing to provide us with some privacy from out neighbours and for security, and easy to maintain.

We were thinking of laurel as its evergreen, inexpensive and attractive, however, we are not sure whether the growth in terms of width and heighth would be too much for a small garden.

We would welcome any helpful

Thank you.
Old 27-04-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung

--
richardwalton

First, where are you?
Do you want the hedge to be 5-6ft or shorter?
How much distance from the fence can the hedge grow? In other words do you
need it to stay fairly close to the fence (upright growing) or can the hedge
get a little fat?
Do you want a continuous hedge or are individual bushes OK?
Do you want something with scent or flowers?

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Old 27-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Leeds

Hello Alan and thank you for posting.

We are in Leeds.

We would like the hedge to grow 8-12 inches from the fence in a continuous line reaching 5-6 ft, and have a depth of 2-2.5 ft, although we can prune accordingly.

We would like an evergreen hedge and flowers or/and scent would be a real benefit.

We hope to remove the conifers the same day as planting their replacements, and with a long weekend coming up, we want to get cracking.