Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Andy Phillips

Default Advice on hedging/screening

Hi,

As the result of a forced corporate move (*******s!), we're about to move
from a cottage in the West Country to a semi in the home counties. One
problem (from our point of view) about the new house is that we can see a
neighbour's property about 15 beyond the garden fence at the bottom of the
30m-long garden - our current garden is 70m long and has a field at the end,
so to see other houses so close is freaking us out.

We'd therefore like to grow some screening plants on the line of the garden
fence that will at least break up, if not completely hide, the neighbour's
house. We don't want to go down the Leylandii route, but we would like
something that will do a reasonable job of screening in summer and winter as
the kitchen window looks out in that direction.

Can you suggest any suitable plants? We wondered about a bamboo or two,
perhaps separated by a columnar conifer such as a cypress. We're prepared to
buy relatively mature trees (a budget of £500-£800, say). The length of the
bottom fence is about 10m.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 16-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Paul Kelly

"Andy Phillips" wrote in message
[...]

1. Don't decide on anything before you move. 10mx30m is a pretty small plot
and the sort of planting you envisage will eat up quite a bit of it

2. Don't do as shown below, as you simply emphasise both the rectangular
nature of the plot and (perversely) emphasise the house you seek to hide as
the focus is along the garden

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x X X X X X X x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x
x x

3. Think more in terms of design structures in the garden to switch the
lines of interest to a diagonal. Also a pergola structure across the garden
and a tree closer than the boundary may do the job of hiding the view.
Combined with climbers on a 60 cm trellis top to (I assume?) the 6ft fence
that might do the job you seek.

4 Where in the home counties? There are very good large tree/shrub suppliers
dotted around and some very expensive ones to avoid.

pk

Old 16-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Mike

In article , Andy Phillips
writes
Hi,

As the result of a forced corporate move (*******s!), we're about to move
from a cottage in the West Country to a semi in the home counties.

Andy, why move? Do you 'have' to?

Do you 'live' to work?

I dropped 5 ranks in the Civil Service to get out of the rat race in
Leicester and get back to the Isle of Wight.

It 'can' be done. Honest.

Stay where you are. It takes a bit of working out, but it can be done.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 17-04-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

I put in Bamboo to replace the few Conifers we stupidly put in and promptly
removed they have grown pretty fast
However Pyracantaha and Escallonia grown very quickly too and provide both
winter and summer interst

Old 17-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Sarah Dale

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:51:53 +0000, Andy Phillips wrote:

We'd therefore like to grow some screening plants on the line of the garden
fence that will at least break up, if not completely hide, the neighbour's
house. We don't want to go down the Leylandii route, but we would like

One very space saving way of doing things is to install a trellis and / or
support system (depends on what is already there) and grow lots of
climbers. This also helps with your problem *this* year, as you can grow
lots of annual climbers such as sweet peas to hide things now, whilst the
permanent perennial planting is getting started.

HTH,

Sarah

Old 18-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Andy Phillips

Thanks for the informed advice. No, we weren't going to do anything before
we moved. We'd prefer to plant this Spring, but it may be better to get used
to the garden before we make any rash decisions.

The garden has had a makeover relatively recently, and part of the problem
is that the new planting has not had time to get established. This leaves
the garden looking rather bare (especially as we've only seen it in winter)
and the eye is drawn to the house over the garden fence. However, there is a
pergola that runs diagonally across the centre of the garden, and the
climbers on this will eventually generate more interest in the nearer parts
of the garden.

The house is in Harpenden, Herts. In those parts, 10x30m counts as quite a
large garden for a house costing less than half a million. But it's still
depressing for us moving from Somerset where we have a much longer (albeit
even narrower) plot. We have a love of trees and have an unfortunate habit
of planting species that will get too big for the plot. For example, in our
current garden we planted Sequioa sempervirens, Metasequoia
glyptostroboides, Sequioadendron giganteum (grown from seed and now 7m high
and 5m wide), Araucaria araucana, Picea brewiana, Quercus rubra,
Liriodendron tulipifera and others. This strategy won't be acceptable in
Harpenden with other houses very close. Surveyors get very excited by large
trees within 30m.

As to suppliers, we saw a TV gardening program recently that sourced its
larger specimen trees from Tendercare in Denham - is this a good place to
go? Harpenden is within easy reach of the M25 so anywhere on the North side
of London would be OK.

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andy Phillips

Old 18-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"Andy Phillips" wrote in message

. We'd prefer to plant this Spring, but it may be better to get

used to the garden before we make any rash decisions.

Wise!

The garden has had a makeover relatively recently, and part of the problem
is that the new planting has not had time to get established. This leaves
the garden looking rather bare (especially as we've only seen it in

winter)
and the eye is drawn to the house over the garden fence.

You may well find it recedes once you move in!

However, there is

pergola that runs diagonally across the centre of the garden, and the
climbers on this will eventually generate more interest in the nearer

parts
of the garden.

Great minds?

We have a love of trees and have an unfortunate habit
of planting species that will get too big for the plot. For example, in

our
current garden we planted Sequioa sempervirens, Metasequoia
glyptostroboides, Sequioadendron giganteum (grown from seed and now 7m

high
and 5m wide), Araucaria araucana, Picea brewiana, Quercus rubra,
Liriodendron tulipifera and others.

Wow! You like em big!

As to suppliers, we saw a TV gardening program recently that sourced its
larger specimen trees from Tendercare in Denham - is this a good place to
go? Harpenden is within easy reach of the M25 so anywhere on the North

side
of London would be OK.

Tendercare are excellent quality and value, but top of the market wrt price.
One of the advantages of using them direct to "supply and plant" is that
they will guarantee to establish whatever they sell you.

A cheaper route would be a local jobber and get the plants from a wholesale
nursery. Van den Broek at Addlestone and Plants Limited at Chobham both have
large stock available to the trade at good prices - and are both just off
the m25, west of london.

pk

Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Dave

Andy Phillips writes
The house is in Harpenden, Herts.
As to suppliers, we saw a TV gardening program recently that sourced its
larger specimen trees from Tendercare in Denham - is this a good place to
go? Harpenden is within easy reach of the M25 so anywhere on the North side
of London would be OK.

Try Tree Heritage on the northwest of Hertford, just outside Waterford
on the road to Stevenage. They will also sell you mature trees in large
pallets as well as bare rooted saplings, or anything in between.

IIRC their website is http://www.treeheritage.com

We have been buying from them for about 10 years, as have many of our
friends.
--
David
Old 24-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Michael Berridge

bnd777 wrote in message ...
I put in Bamboo to replace the few Conifers we stupidly put in and

promptly
removed they have grown pretty fast
However Pyracantaha and Escallonia grown very quickly too and provide

both
winter and summer interst

Yew also grows relatively quickly, and has the advantage of being
evergreen, and will grow back from the base if cut back.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk