Old 27-04-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
brucegooglegroups

Default weeding tool

Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would
prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Old 27-04-2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would
prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Oh boy...have I got a tool for you!
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS12326

I've had one for 20 years. I use it more than any other small garden tool.
Indestructible. The first one in the list is no longer available, so you
have to order the long handle version.

Old 27-04-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article .com,
"brucegooglegroups" wrote:

Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would
prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Warren Hoe.

But those Japanese weeding knifes are really useful.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 27-04-2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

William Wagner" wrote in message
In article .com,
"brucegooglegroups" wrote:

Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would
prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Warren Hoe.

But those Japanese weeding knifes are really useful.

And, scary looking, too. Perfect for visitors who think you have a sign on
your head saying "Please get in my way as much as you can". Even though the
knife's not at all sharp, I find that people tend to take a step or two back
when I'm using it.

Old 27-04-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

William Wagner" wrote in message

et...
In article .com,
"brucegooglegroups" wrote:

Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would
prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Warren Hoe.

But those Japanese weeding knifes are really useful.

And, scary looking, too. Perfect for visitors who think you have a sign on
your head saying "Please get in my way as much as you can". Even though the
knife's not at all sharp, I find that people tend to take a step or two back
when I'm using it.

Looks of are no import the ability to do work matters. I've got two
knifes and since most of my gardening is in solitude I really think do
you garden ?

Bill being nice.

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 27-04-2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"brucegooglegroups" wrote:

Suggestions for a good weeding tool for both lawn and garden? I would
prefer one with a long handle.

Bruce

Warren Hoe.

But those Japanese weeding knifes are really useful.

And, scary looking, too. Perfect for visitors who think you have a sign
on
your head saying "Please get in my way as much as you can". Even though
the
knife's not at all sharp, I find that people tend to take a step or two
back
when I'm using it.

Looks of are no import the ability to do work matters. I've got two
knifes and since most of my gardening is in solitude I really think do
you garden ?

Bill being nice.

I've been gardening for 35+ years. I tend to get visitors. Neighbors who
come to chat. They see me move from one spot to another 30 times, and then
stand precisely in my path. It's odd. Many people look, but do not see.

Old 27-04-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
brucegooglegroups

Hi Doug,
What about the weeding hoe from seeds of change?
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...=+weeding+tool

Bending over is an issue for me and I would rather weed standing up.

Bruce

Old 27-04-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Doug,
What about the weeding hoe from seeds of change?
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...=+weeding+tool

Bending over is an issue for me and I would rather weed standing up.

Bruce

Bruce:
I guess I'm used to my tools, because I can't see how a fork would be useful
for weeding, unless you stuck it under the weeds and twisted it to lift out
the weeds. That could be murder on the wrists after a while. Somebody else
mentioned this, though - a nicer version of another tool I've had for years:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...item_no=S12394

Part of that blade glides just below the surface of the soil and slices
weeds off. You can just leave them on the surface to roast in the sun, and
then decompose. You'll still want to clean up weeds that have flower heads,
and perhaps seeds that have developed, but most can just be left to shrivel.

You should still buy that knife, though. You'll wonder how you ever lived
without it.

Old 28-04-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
brucegooglegroups

Hi Doug,
Can this life also be used on the lawn?

Bruce

Old 28-04-2006, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Doug,
Can this life also be used on the lawn?

Bruce

I assume you mean "knife"! You can use it anyplace you want! But, if you're
referring to the 2nd tool, that's made for flower beds where the soil's
loose. Lawns tend to get packed down too much for scuffle hoes and similar
tools.

Old 28-04-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Doug,
Can this life also be used on the lawn?

Bruce

I assume you mean "knife"! You can use it anyplace you want! But, if

you're
referring to the 2nd tool, that's made for flower beds where the soil's
loose. Lawns tend to get packed down too much for scuffle hoes and
similar
tools.

Can it be used to pick up dog poo?

rob

No. The dog owner should do that with his/her teeth, at gunpoint.

Old 28-04-2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"brucegooglegroups" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Doug,
Can this life also be used on the lawn?

Bruce

I assume you mean "knife"! You can use it anyplace you want! But, if

you're
referring to the 2nd tool, that's made for flower beds where the soil's
loose. Lawns tend to get packed down too much for scuffle hoes and
similar
tools.

Can it be used to pick up dog poo?

rob

No. The dog owner should do that with his/her teeth, at gunpoint.

I'll try this with my wife and "her" dog tonight!

Old 28-04-2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Carlock

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
I've been gardening for 35+ years. I tend to get visitors. Neighbors
who come to chat. They see me move from one spot to another 30
times, and then stand precisely in my path. It's odd. Many people
look, but do not see.

Video that and post it to the binaries group? The dial up people might
forgive you if the file is bigger than 1MB and it humors them.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

Old 28-04-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:
I've been gardening for 35+ years. I tend to get visitors. Neighbors
who come to chat. They see me move from one spot to another 30
times, and then stand precisely in my path. It's odd. Many people
look, but do not see.

Video that and post it to the binaries group? The dial up people might
forgive you if the file is bigger than 1MB and it humors them.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

It would probably be painful to watch, if you're a person who's capable of
noticing what a worker is doing, seeing the pattern, and adapting to it. My
son worked briefly in a restaurant kitchen, and said they had a waitress who
could not comprehend the paths being taken all night long by the cooks &
their helpers. No matter how many times they discussed it with her, she'd
stand right between the prep area and the stove, or between the
refrigerators and the prep area. The "triangle", as designers call it.
Finally, they fired her.

Old 28-04-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Think of the Japanese garden knife as a trowel that can do other tasks.

Collinear hoe via Elliot Coleman is great for quick weed removal
especially when the weeds are very young. AKA less work. The warren
does it all. I went with both. Walk about your neighborhood and see
what tools folks use.

Johnnyseeds.com offers them. (Collinear)

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

[IMG] code is On

world's finest weeding tool-- tongue-groove-pliers; a good design forrobot-weeders [email protected] Plant Science 10 15-08-2008 06:48 AM
weeding tool brucegooglegroups Lawns 6 29-04-2006 01:09 PM
What's the Best Small Weeding tool/technique? Blarneystone Gardening 18 30-05-2004 08:02 PM
Newbie Weeding question DDEckerslyke United Kingdom 16 27-04-2003 08:21 PM
Chemical weeding arround young trees John Towill United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 09:15 PM