Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Mole Problem

On 1 May 2006 20:31:49 -0700
"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote:

That's what I've been told!. . .But if you could see my yard, you'd
swear there was a herd!

One mole can put up 12 hills per day, no problem. After a very
short time this looks like Avogadro's number.

I am lucky enough to have a fellow who traps the moles for the
occasional bottle of wine. (He doesn't drink, so I try and find
something to suit his wife's tastes.) He's the retired local
mail carrier, so we always get a good story about the youthful
indiscretions of some town elder out of the deal.

He's a very skillful trapper. He then uses the dead moles as
fox bait; we've a big fox issue, my neighbor just lost about 30
chickens.

Find a mole man, if you can!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Dwayne wrote:

The best and most permanent way is to get rid of the grubs in your yard.
That is what the moles are after and once they are eliminated the moles go
away. I once read about using a "white (something) powder" that was safe on
everything else, but that killed grubs and was effective for 20 years.
Maybe one of the readers will know what it is called. One of the colleges
had put our an article about it.

Dwayne

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a herd of moles that are tunneling beneath my lawn. I
understand that moles are supposed to be solitary creatures, but I have
a hard time believing one critter could be this destructive.

Occassionally, the dog in the yard next door will dig one up, so I know
it is actually moles, that are doing the damage.

I've tried the little wind driven decorator devices that make the
ground clatter, I've tried pouring clorox down their holes. I've tried
eradicating any worm and bug problem, I may have, hoping to remove any
mole food source. . .All to no avail. This has been going on for
several years now!

Help!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

The do eat invertebrates and probably will consume every grub they find,
but my reading conviced me their number one prefered food (one source
says over 70% of the diet) is worms. That means they are gonna be
attracted to healthy lawns and gardens.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 02-05-2006, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I had a really prolific population of earthworms in my yard. I treated
them with Sevin (that white powder that you are perhaps thinking of).
It helped a bit for a short time, but "they're" or "it" is back with a
vengence!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 02-05-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

That sounds quite interesting. . .I'll research that a little further!

Old 02-05-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung

"Dwayne" wrote in message
That wasn't the white powder I mentioned. This one causes a fungus or
something to kill grubs, and not hurt anything else. It was to take 2 or

3
years to become fully established, but lasted for up to 20 years. I've
heard of several people on various newsgroups that use that method
sucessfully.

Dwayne

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a really prolific population of earthworms in my yard. I treated
them with Sevin (that white powder that you are perhaps thinking of).
It helped a bit for a short time, but "they're" or "it" is back with a
vengence!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

The white powder you are talking about is called Milky Spore. It is
expensive, hard to apply, takes a year or so to get established and it
doesn't work in colder climates.

You should not be spreading Sevin to kill off your earthworms. They are good
for your yard. Sevin is toxic to bees also.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a