Old 30-04-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Default Mole Problem

I have a herd of moles that are tunneling beneath my lawn. I
understand that moles are supposed to be solitary creatures, but I have
a hard time believing one critter could be this destructive.

Occassionally, the dog in the yard next door will dig one up, so I know
it is actually moles, that are doing the damage.

I've tried the little wind driven decorator devices that make the
ground clatter, I've tried pouring clorox down their holes. I've tried
eradicating any worm and bug problem, I may have, hoping to remove any
mole food source. . .All to no avail. This has been going on for
several years now!

Help!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 30-04-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

I have a herd of moles that are tunneling beneath my lawn. I
understand that moles are supposed to be solitary creatures, but I have
a hard time believing one critter could be this destructive.

Occassionally, the dog in the yard next door will dig one up, so I know
it is actually moles, that are doing the damage.

I've tried the little wind driven decorator devices that make the
ground clatter, I've tried pouring clorox down their holes. I've tried
eradicating any worm and bug problem, I may have, hoping to remove any
mole food source. . .All to no avail. This has been going on for
several years now!

Help!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

There is a good reason for the mole-catcher being the most respected and
highest paid tradesman in 'olden times'.

First, any solution will require close observation and testing to
determone where current activity is taking place. They will abandon
tunnels in some areas after feeding and any controls tried on those
tunnels is a wasted effort. So, before using your chosen weapon, take a
broom handle or something similar, and some plasic straws/whatever to
mark the test points, and plunge a hole straight down through a
run/tunnel's roof. Observe for 2-3 days. Any unrepaired hole is an
abandoned tunnel. Now, choose your weapon, many folks still prefer
traps, and Talpirid is one bait that seems to have some success. The one
I just got rid of seems to have been killed by the use of Giant
Destroyer. It is a 'smoke bomb'.

sigh - I expect to have to do this again next year.

I hate moles.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 01-05-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Yep!. . .Moles are the worst. I tried a couple of those Giant Destoyer
smoke bombs, and about killed myself;-) Alas, I think I can still hear
that Mole laughing, from all the choking I was doing out on the lawn!
Thanks for the tips however!

If I were an inventor, I'd probably come up with a contraption that
looked like a lawn areator device. You know - those roller drum
thingys with the little spikes on it! I'd just make the spikes about a
foot longer than they already are;-)

I'd probably destroy my sprinkler system in the process though! But,
it'd make for a really good "blonde" joke!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

A few years ago I bought a poison for moles based on a phosphorous
compound and it got rid of them and they never returned. Other stuff,
I believe called something like, mole-nots, worked but not nearly as
well. You bury these poisons in their tunnels.

Frank

Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi all -- I work for the manufacturer of Talpirid, and I received a
Google Alert about this post. I won't turn this into a sales pitch,
just know that Talpirid (Tomcat Mole Killer on the retail end) works --
and is the only bait that works.

Thanks

tim

Old 01-05-2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

I have good luck with the harpoon traps. Keep them clean and sharp. Put
them in place and work them up and down a few times then set them.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

I have had them in the city - used gas grenades, poison pellets, and the
like with no success-

finally got the old mole trap out of the barn on the farm - end of problem

It's one of those 4-pronged type, available from farm and garden stores,
where you pull the handle up and set a flap plate under the trigger.
Hint - I got a new one, and its spring is weaker than the older one, so
if you have hard soil, you need to either add a heavy weight to the handle
or make sure the prongs are over the surface tunnel. (You push down the
tunnel only above the trap itself, so when the mole comes by and pushes it
back up, the trap is tripped)

fwiw

ups.com...

Old 01-05-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

Pull up the prongs and let themgo into the ground several times so the
holes are there. keep them clean and sharp.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

You guys are talking to a gal, who wants to buy her chicken already cut
up, and Safeway wrapped! I'm not much for blood and gore;-)

I think I'll try Tim's "Talpirid" next. My neighbors swear I'm running
a yard full of those little windmill thingys - while trying to run the
little varmits out of my yard. They're right of course - I figure one
of my back fence neighbors will not be as squimish as I am, and will
haul out their traps!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 02-05-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
hob

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
You guys are talking to a gal, who wants to buy her chicken already cut
up, and Safeway wrapped! I'm not much for blood and gore;-)

You'll never know it got it --- the prongs just come up out of the ground,
leaving no trace. Just nature's fertilizer

Know no mole left behind, as it were.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

It's a quandry that's for sure. . .I hate the behavior of these little
varmits, but I still love them too;-)

Old 02-05-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

It's a quandry that's for sure. . .I hate the behavior of these little
varmits, but I still love them too;-)

Quite likely you only have one mole - they are not social but their
territory can be quite large.

old graffitti joke Got mole problems? call, Avogadro 6.02x10^23 !

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 02-05-2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

That's what I've been told!. . .But if you could see my yard, you'd
swear there was a herd!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

That's what I've been told!. . .But if you could see my yard, you'd
swear there was a herd!

I sahred one with my neighbor. From my backyard, around the south end of
my house, across the front, UNDER the driveway and 2/3s across his front
yard - with multiple brancing tunnels and several 'mounds'.

it was killed either by delayed discovery of Tomcat baits or Giant
Destroyer. I guess we'll never know.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)