Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Virgil Caine

Default 2-post arbor for wisteria

I am trying to build an arbor with just two posts for a wisteria that seems
to be healthy and growing this spring (Zone-5, OHIO- Cincinnati's Northern
Suburb). I just put in two posts on either side in concrete. Now- I have to
put the top structure to carry the vines. Can any one suggest a simple plan
for a novice with no extensive wood working equipment?

Old 07-05-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

I am trying to build an arbor with just two posts for a wisteria that seems

Wood, unless it's pressure treated, shouldn't be in direct contact with
concrete. Use a saddle, like they use for deck posts.

Remember that you need hot dipped or stainless fasteners for ACQ wood,
and that the load you're planning is not just some fairly heavy climber, but
wind load as well.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
I am trying to build an arbor with just two posts for a wisteria that
seems

Wood, unless it's pressure treated, shouldn't be in direct contact with
concrete. Use a saddle, like they use for deck posts.

Remember that you need hot dipped or stainless fasteners for ACQ wood,
and that the load you're planning is not just some fairly heavy climber,
but
wind load as well.

If you don't want a plain cross bar, shop for finials and just nail them to
the ends, horizontally.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Virgil Caine wrote:
I am trying to build an arbor with just two posts for a wisteria that seems
to be healthy and growing this spring (Zone-5, OHIO- Cincinnati's Northern
Suburb). I just put in two posts on either side in concrete. Now- I have to
put the top structure to carry the vines. Can any one suggest a simple plan
for a novice with no extensive wood working equipment?

Instead of a complete structure, consider wire rope. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_grapes.html for how I did this for
grape vines. In my case, I had two vines and three posts. You can
modify this arrangement for a single vine and two posts. I will be
doing that when my slipped hill is repaired; the restored landscape will
have a third vine by itself.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean