Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Default Squirrel in my Garden

Andy writes:

Well, yesterday I looked out the window and there was a squirrel
walking
around in my garden... I have been working on it for the last two
months,
and some of the veggies are just starting to come in. I don't want any
thieves messing with it. It is fenced, and any literate squirrel should
know
that he/she isn't allowed there. ...... Probably a Mexican
squirrel.....

I opened the door and shouted at it to go away.... no reaction.
I picked up a rock and threw it at the little *******(bitch?) ....
no reaction.

It just sat there, 20 feet away, staring at me. I could tell what
it was
thinking...... 1) I am faster than you are.
2) I can climb trees better than you
3) I am smarter than you are
4) **** you !!!

I reached behind my door, pulled out my .177 air rifle, and
shot his furry little ass dead..........

In doing so, I taught the squirrel a valuable lesson. A lesson that
learned many years ago.

"If you underestimate your competition, and provoke him, you may
get your furry little ass shot off "

( Exerpt from " The World According to JungleAndy" )

I just wanted to share my yesterday adventure with you......
No... I didn't skin , clean, and cook the squirrel.
I am leaving him in the garden so that his brothers and sisters will
garner some wisdom from his plight........ As of now, I have seen
no evidence of any other squirrel ( or rabbit) strolling thru my
garden.
......... crows either.....

Yes, Joanie had gone into town at the time, and , no, I don't plan
tell her about it....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On 7 May 2006 09:10:34 -0700, "AndyS" wrote:

Andy writes:

Well, yesterday I looked out the window and there was a squirrel
walking

snip
Yes, Joanie had gone into town at the time, and , no, I don't plan
tell her about it....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Personally I havn't had problems with squirrels in the garden. I
thought squirrels prefer other snacks other than vegetables. Rabbits
can do a lot of damage, and fencing will keep them out.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

AndyS wrote:

snip

I just wanted to share my yesterday adventure with you......
No... I didn't skin , clean, and cook the squirrel.
I am leaving him in the garden so that his brothers and sisters will
garner some wisdom from his plight........ As of now, I have seen
no evidence of any other squirrel ( or rabbit) strolling thru my
garden.
........ crows either.....

You will, if you leave him (her) there too long.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

In my yard, I use to have beautiful grey squirrels. They didn't seem
terribly destructive, other than they ate some of the Cherries, and
apricots in the next door neighbor's yard. However, in recent years,
the grey squirrels have been pretty much overrun by another species of
squirrels that are more brown, a little smaller, a little scragglier,
and definitely more destructive. I have caught them red-handed chewing
on the roof to my gazebo. I can go out there and yell at them, and
they just ignore me and keep chewing, unless I get a little more
agressive with them.

I really haven't seen too much that has brought their population down,
other than having a neighbor pop them with a pellet gun!

I suspect you might try some kind of a rodent brick, but if you have
pets, you'd likely need to be extremely careful.

Goood luck!. . .and if you have any luck, please let us know!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 08-05-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Depending on the law in your area, you may want to consider using poison
bait. Squirrels don't give a damn about rat bait, they ignore it. In
california you can buy this stuff:

http://www.wilcodistributors.com/pest_control.htm

It's sold at home depot and lowes, it's usually stocked on the bottom shelf
of the pest/insecticide shelves.
Works fairly well, just make sure it's placed in a proper enclosure, so pets
and birds can't get at it.

-S

Old 08-05-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

It looks like that bait is used more for pocket gophers and ground
squirrels. The squirrels I have are of the tree squirrel variety (I
think). They run a great deal along the tops of my fences. I'm
wondering how that stuff would work if I put up some sort of feeder
near the top of my fence???

I live in California too!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 08-05-2006, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
It looks like that bait is used more for pocket gophers and ground
squirrels. The squirrels I have are of the tree squirrel variety (I
think). They run a great deal along the tops of my fences. I'm
wondering how that stuff would work if I put up some sort of feeder
near the top of my fence???

I live in California too!

Check out http://www.wilcodistributors.com/products.htm you want to look for
Wilco Ground Squirrel Bait.

Also read: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7438.html

Tree squirrels are protected, and apparently have a certain hunting season.
Ground squirrels on the other hand are open season. You can either buy one
of the special squirrel feeders. I just put a few pellets in a 4" wide pvc
pipe, since I don't have any pets or children in my yard, I just need to
protect it from turning into bird food.

-S