Old 15-05-2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dukester

Default Converting pasture - flower farm?

Looking for stories, experience, tips etc. from folks that have turned some
of their small acreage into something other than a place to mow grass. We
have 9 acres some of which I would like to see turned into something useful.
After contemplating & dreading the idea of a $5k or $6k zero turn mower I am
looking for other ideas.

My wife & I both have full time jobs so this would have to be something
workable in the off hours, but we do have tractor, implements, etc. This is
zone 7, northern Mississippi, about half flat pasture, the rest slopes.
Someone nearby has a daylily farm directly in front of their house which
gave us the idea along with the zinnias & cosmos that my wife grew in past
years. Not afraid of the work associated - mowing takes forever! And we're
not even considering making income from it, just something "other" than
lawn. Goats, sheep, cows etc. and associated vet bills not really we are
looking for. Tried letting it go several times but ended up with more
honeysuckle & privet than anything else.

Anyone tried anything like this?
Cheers!
Dukester