Old 17-05-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Steckel

Default Quikrete Mix for setting fence posts???

Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for setting fence
posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told that any Quikrete mix
(like the #1101) will set up if poured dry. I've also been told that the
fast setting the fast setting #1004 is far better. Someone even told me that
the non-fast setting will only have half the strength of the red bag, fast
setting mix if poured dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't
want to sacrifice strength over the years as this fence will catch lots of
wind over the years.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Old 17-05-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

How deep are you digging the post holes?

Old 17-05-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I'm glad you're using vinyl - they'll not be bothered by termites or
dry rot. I did a small picket fence project in my yard last year. I
dug holes and sunk the posts about 12". . .I used Quikrete, pouring it
dry from the bags into the holes. I had put a few rocks around the
posts to level them and hold them in place. Then just took the garden
hose and turned on the water.

My posts were wood that I treated with that "greenstuff" to keep the
pests out (for awhile). I made certain the Quickrete level ended up
being level with the ground.

With your using vinyl - you will likely have a more durable outcome.

Good luck!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 17-05-2006, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

I installed a picket fence also around my front yard also and I love it! No
painting or rot always looks good. I do a spring pressure wash for the
slight mildew from the trees in certain places.

I sunk my posts in 24" used the ready-mix concrete inside and outside for
extra strength. If you put in a gate you can use 4x4's to give hardware
something to hold onto.

Hint: I saved my leftover pickets and have a tube of the PVC glue handy for
the occasional tree limb from the oaks that falls.
Yours sounds like the solid pvc board panels so you wont need this advice
but others that are thinking of the picket kind can use it.
oups.com...

Old 18-05-2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Steckel

36"

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
ps.com...

How deep are you digging the post holes?

Old 22-05-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell

Doug Steckel wrote:
Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for setting fence
posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told that any Quikrete mix
(like the #1101) will set up if poured dry. I've also been told that the
fast setting the fast setting #1004 is far better. Someone even told me that
the non-fast setting will only have half the strength of the red bag, fast
setting mix if poured dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't
want to sacrifice strength over the years as this fence will catch lots of
wind over the years.

Any advice?

Pouring it dry works if there's enough water in the
ground to saturate the dry concrete. Don't count on it.
Doing the job right is only marginally harder. Pour the
bag in, then add water with a hose or bucket and stir.