Old 17-05-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elroy Willis

Default Sprinklers - Any metal machinists around here?

I've got an improvement to a metal sprinkler head that I own, and
don't have the tools to make the part I need to fix/improve it.

The parts I'm talking about are the two metal sleeves/collars which
control when the sprinkler switches directions. Over time, the
collars loosen up and the sprinkler starts to drift, because the
collar starts turning around the shaft...

Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about?

You set the sprinkler to water the grass along your front curb,
carefully setting the sleeves/collars to make sure you don't waste
any water on the street, and look out five minutes later and see that
you're watering the street, spraying cars that pass by as the sleeves
slip around the shaft of the sprinkler?

It ****es me off that this is at least the fourth or fifth heavy-duty
metal sprinkler head that I've bought and it has the exact same
problem as all the others.

I have a perfect solution to the problem, but don't have the expertise
in metalwork to make it. Anybody interested?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. The two pieces are
highlighted in gold.

http://www.elroysemporium.com/jpg/sprinkler1.jpg

My solution is a long screw which goes down through the middle of the
horseshoe-shaped collar, with a large thumbscrew at the end
which is used to loosen and tighten the collar against the shaft.

Has anybody seen a sprinkler head with the above modification? If so,
gimme the URL to buy one. If not, let's talk about making one...

--
Elroy Willis
www.elroysemporium.com
Old 17-05-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Elroy Willis" wrote in message

[...]

Looks like an interesting idea. But, I have no idea why you would post it
online, instead of opening the yellow pages phone book, looking under metal
shops, and simply walking into one or two of them. People who do that kind
of work tend to be inventive. I'd bet you'd find someone quickly.