Old 18-05-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

Default Lime addition

The core issue here is using lime to eliminate moss in your lawn. Lime will
increase the alkalinity of your soil, but that's not what encourages the
growth of the moss. Rather, it's that moss tends to grow in shady, moist,
compacted areas. To rid the area of the moss, you'll have to change the
moss-favorable conditions. In my humble opinion, moss IS better than bare
ground, which is likely what you'd have if not for the moss. Here's a nice
publication from the Extension in Wisconsin about this very subject:
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/XHT1114.pdf

In any event, before changing the pH of your soil -- for whatever purpose --
it's best to have your soil tested first to see what the pH actually is.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

"Virgil Caine" wrote in message
I bought this Lime (dolometic lime for lawn and gardens). I brought it home
to apply in an area infested with moss and heavy rain overflows. I found
out that the damn lime powder does not fall through the rotary spreader or
drop spreader (SCOTTS). How do you folks apply lime powder to the lawn?

Old 18-05-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

To support this Suzy, I found the most unusual lovely fluffy green moss
growing at the base of a big oak tree last week. I decided to place it on my
waterfall. When I lifted it up I realized that was the spot where I had left
an old near empty bag of lime out to long and when I picked it up the bottom
fell out spilling lime which I just left. That was several years ago. This
tree is at the top of my driveway with very compacted red clay soil with bad
drainage. Strange thing next day, the squirrels stole part of it already! Oh
well.

Old 18-05-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/moss2006.jpg
heres what it will look like on the waterfall. Ingrid

"Plant Info" wrote in message
The core issue here is using lime to eliminate moss in your lawn. Lime
will increase the alkalinity of your soil, but that's not what encourages
the growth of the moss. Rather, it's that moss tends to grow in shady,
moist, compacted areas. To rid the area of the moss, you'll have to
change the moss-favorable conditions. In my humble opinion, moss IS
better than bare ground, which is likely what you'd have if not for the
moss. Here's a nice publication from the Extension in Wisconsin about
this very subject: http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/XHT1114.pdf

In any event, before changing the pH of your soil -- for whatever
purpose -- it's best to have your soil tested first to see what the pH
actually is.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 21-05-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

You are so right, Elaine. Shady, poorly drained soil -- clay is the
worst! -- is the perfect place for moss. I've no doubt the remains of the
bag of lime were simply accidental and didn't contribute to the moss.

Suzy, Zone 5, SE Wisconsin

"Plant Info" wrote in message
The core issue here is using lime to eliminate moss in your lawn. Lime
will increase the alkalinity of your soil, but that's not what
encourages
the growth of the moss. Rather, it's that moss tends to grow in shady,
moist, compacted areas. To rid the area of the moss, you'll have to
change the moss-favorable conditions. In my humble opinion, moss IS
better than bare ground, which is likely what you'd have if not for the
moss. Here's a nice publication from the Extension in Wisconsin about
this very subject:
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/XHT1114.pdf

In any event, before changing the pH of your soil -- for whatever
purpose -- it's best to have your soil tested first to see what the pH
actually is.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 21-05-2006, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

I agree with the conditions but Suzy this beautiful moss was like no other I
have around and it was growing only on the lime spill...? Wish I had taken a
picture before I moved it. If it comes back I will remember to do that and
post a link for ya..

"Plant Info" wrote in message
The core issue here is using lime to eliminate moss in your lawn. Lime
will increase the alkalinity of your soil, but that's not what
encourages
the growth of the moss. Rather, it's that moss tends to grow in shady,
moist, compacted areas. To rid the area of the moss, you'll have to
change the moss-favorable conditions. In my humble opinion, moss IS
better than bare ground, which is likely what you'd have if not for the
moss. Here's a nice publication from the Extension in Wisconsin about
this very subject:
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/XHT1114.pdf

In any event, before changing the pH of your soil -- for whatever
purpose -- it's best to have your soil tested first to see what the pH
actually is.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at