Old 18-05-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
www.gardeners-advice.com

Default how much have you spent

just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

Old 18-05-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
James

"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

My veggie garden comes to about $50 per pound. ;-)

Old 18-05-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

That's best not discussed.

Old 18-05-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

That's best not discussed.

I guess it is close to my transportation money. But my 1970 Camaro
( a car Cost 3500 in 1970) is gone and my Japanese maple may be worth
about 10+ K purchased the same year.

Labor of love.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 18-05-2006, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

That's best not discussed.

I guess it is close to my transportation money. But my 1970 Camaro
( a car Cost 3500 in 1970) is gone and my Japanese maple may be worth
about 10+ K purchased the same year.

Labor of love.

Bill

When I was married, I tried a few times to shuffle garden money into the
health care part of the budget, since fresh, non-poisoned vegetables are so
good for you. The accountant caught up with this practice.

Old 18-05-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message

et...
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

That's best not discussed.

I guess it is close to my transportation money. But my 1970 Camaro
( a car Cost 3500 in 1970) is gone and my Japanese maple may be worth
about 10+ K purchased the same year.

Labor of love.

Bill

When I was married, I tried a few times to shuffle garden money into the
health care part of the budget, since fresh, non-poisoned vegetables are so
good for you. The accountant caught up with this practice.

All past tense.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 18-05-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...

just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

That's best not discussed.

I agree with that!

And its now what you spend, its what you get out of gardening. For many
of us it is truly a labor of love.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 18-05-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"www.gardeners-advice.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

That's best not discussed.

I guess it is close to my transportation money. But my 1970 Camaro
( a car Cost 3500 in 1970) is gone and my Japanese maple may be worth
about 10+ K purchased the same year.

Labor of love.

Bill

When I was married, I tried a few times to shuffle garden money into the
health care part of the budget, since fresh, non-poisoned vegetables are
so
good for you. The accountant caught up with this practice.

All past tense.

Bill

Now, I do everything with cash. Harder to trace.

Old 18-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy replies:

Well, if I add up the money I spent for seed, fertilizer, my
roto-tiller,
assorted containers .... I'd be much better off just buying the stuff
from Walmart grocery.

However, I am looking out my bedroom window and I see neat
rows of lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber vines, cantalop vines,
some otherkinda vines, in a freshly weeded and plowed plot....
...... hell, I don't even want to pick anything cause it will spoil the
symmetry... My vegetable garden in like some people's flower
gardens, except that , if I want to , I can eat the stuf....... I have
growing at least 10 times what I can use, but it costs about the
same for seed, so it's no big deal.......
There are intangibles involved that I can't peg to a price....
..... sort of like buying a painting that you like, and just want
to look at......

And when I get tired of it, someday, I'll just throw out
20 bucks worth of Bermida grass seed and the next year
I'll have a nice yard again.......

Oh.... I forgot labor...... Well, I spend as much time in the
garden now as I spent in the health club every day for 20 years
before I retired. But I no longer have health club dues, stinky
people around me, or a wall of posted regulations to obey....

I guess if I take the money I used to spend on health club dues
and use it to pay for my garden, I come out about even.....
...... that's not such a bad deal, after all...

Andy in eureka, Texas

Old 19-05-2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I don't even want to go there with the expense. I kind of do what
other posters to this thread are doing. . .I pencil it into physical
fitness, improved diet, and peace of mind.

However, I must admit that last night I really thought about the poster
of another topic who complained about the deer, rabbits and varmints
eating his vegetables. Perhaps, the vegetables could be used as bait,
for even more expensive animal protein;-)

I think gardening has to be a lot like fishing. . .It isn't the cost of
the activity per pound - but the enjoyment of the time passed. . .Food
on the table, is mere frosting on the cake;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 19-05-2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't even want to go there with the expense. I kind of do what
other posters to this thread are doing. . .I pencil it into physical
fitness, improved diet, and peace of mind.

Several years ago, during my annual checkup, my doctor asked how I stayed in
shape. I told him it was from gardening. He didn't believe it. I told him to
try following me around the yard for a weekend, and I'd call him an
ambulance afterward. That's what gardening does for me.

Old 19-05-2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

According to the following website quite a few calories can be burned
while gardening. It gives the breakdown as follows for 10 minutes of
activity:

125 pound individual - 41 calories
150 pound individual - 49 calories
175 pound individual - 57 calories
200 pound individual - 65 calories

http://www.spirita.net/diet/calories-burned-chart.htm

I swim about 5 times a week. And found the calories to be as follows
for 10 minutes of swim activity doing a slow crawl:

123 pound woman - 95 calories
170 pound man - 130 calories

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 19-05-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy writes:

Myrl, if you went into hydroponic gardening you
could get:

200 pound gardening = 65 calories
200 pound swimming = 150 calories
_______________________________
215 calories

All you have to do is swim while you are
doing the weeding....

....... Ya just gotta look at the big picture :)))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 19-05-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Pecking at the keyboard with two fingers www.gardeners-advice.com at
turned out this gem:

just wondered how much over the years people have spent on there
gardens???

We spend about $300 a year on plants, fertalizers, mulch and more.

Old 19-05-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I swim 50 laps about 5 times a week - I always figured my laps @ my
weight (big secret), at about 5 calories a lap. It usually takes me
about a minute to complete a lap. I need to stop about half way
through each lap and bounce off the bottom, while catching my breath.

I realize I wouldn't need to do that with a rake in my hand, but I also
factor in the hot Sacramento heat, to a 82 degree pool. I'm into
creature comforts unfortunately;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

[IMG] code is On

Can I turn my spent annuals into the soil? Natty_Dread Gardening 2 14-09-2003 10:02 PM
Re(2): Spent mushroom soil Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 12 09-08-2003 08:02 PM
Spent mushroom soil Edible Gardening 7 06-08-2003 03:42 PM
Spent Toner Cartridges Wanted Norman Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Removing Spent Flowers from Kangaroo Paw Anthony P Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM