Old 18-05-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default New Garden Problem-I think!

"Sodbuster7!" wrote in message
I decided to increase my garden this year, so I started another about
200 yards from the first, virtually the same type soil, but full sun
and better drainage.

In my old garden I set out 8 tomato plants, they now have small
tomatoes and are about waist high (30"). In the new garden I set out
7 different varieties of Heirloom tomatoes, and one variety of Hybrid
(Better Boy).

In the new garden, which I set out 2 weeks after the old garden, the
plants are from 12 to 18" tall, some with stalks almost as large as
yourthumb, and blooming, but they are just not growing upwards. I
fertilized and composted the rows, about a week ago I put 1/2 tsp of
10-20-10 fertilizer, still they are bushing out not up.I also have a
row of Bell peppers and they are doing virtually the same thing.

Any suggestions on what is missing in the soil. Oh!, there is a total
of 68 plants, all doing about the same.

Woops, one more important thing. I treated the new garden with
Treflan preeminence 2 weeks before setting out the plants. I only did
about 1/2 the recommended application rate.

Thanks for you time-SodB

If you planted edible things where there was weed killer, the condition of
your plants may be the least of your problems. Did you read the Treflan
label? What lead you to believe it was safe around food crops?