Old 21-05-2006, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default Fast growing Maples.

mleblanca wrote:
A very nice maple is Trident Maple, Acer buergeranum
Silver maple is a very weak tree and here in the North Valley
is very disease prone. I don't recommend it.

Look here for trident maple and other trees

http://selectree.cagr.calpoly.edu

Emilie
NorCal

Again thanks for your help. We had dinner with our son and his family
last night and he wondered why we didn't like the Oak Tree, seeing we
had them at our other house.
The leaves take FOREVER to fall and all those acorns.
Bette

Old 21-05-2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On 20 May 2006 18:35:17 -0700
"Bette" wrote:

John Hines wrote:
"Bette" wrote:

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?

Poplars are a fast growing hardwood.

We had poplars at our other house and they nearly drove us crazy, in
that the root system sought out water.
We have a well in our front yard so I might want to choose a differnt
tree.

Today, we noticed the lovely maple trees and how they enhance a bare
yard.
Thanks for you info

Hi Bette,

If I read this thread correctly you are looking for specific maple recs?

All maples are shallow rooting, it's a characteristic of the species. I
have not heard that Silver maple is shallower than others, but perhaps
this depends on location etc. I have 3, no lawn problems under any.

I have not heard that A. buergerianum (trident maple) is particulary
fast growing. But it certainly grows at a healthy pace, and is a lovely
tree.

If you want maples, here are some fast growing ones.

A. saccharinum aka Silver maple. Very strong growing but can have some
problems with brittle branches in high winds. Roots can be invasive.

A. pseudoplatanus aka Sycamore maple. Many interesting cultivars to
choose from, variegations etc. Very easy, but may be invasive. A variegated
cultivar (like Leopoldii, beautiful and widely available) will be a little slower but
also less invasive.

A. x freemanii (Many cultivars like Autumn Blaze) Easy, fast growing, good tree.

A. cappadocicum aka Caucasian maple. Beautiful big tree, very strong. Good
grower. Unusual perhaps in many gardens. Nice yellow cultivar 'Aureum' if you
have some shade, but a little slower.

A. platanoides aka Norway maple. Lots of nice varieties to choose from, an
undemanding maple, takes wind well. Less fast growing than pseudoplatanus.

A. campestre aka Field maple. Many great cultivars of all sizes. Some, like
the species, are fast growing.

A. tataricum subs ginalla aka Amur maple. Strong, bushy, takes wind well,
totally undemanding. Great fall color, red samaras in summer against dark
green, fast growing.

I'm sure there are other choices, that's what springs to mind.

HTH,

-E

P.S. Elms do grow fast and have nice yellow fall color. I don't have any
chinese elm, but at least here in France you can now get a dutch elm
disease resistant variety called Ulmus procera Resista or just Ulmus resista.
I have two of these that are growing very well, and fast too.
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 21-05-2006, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Emilie-
Thanks for the warning on Silver Maple. . .I have the feeling you've
stopped me from a world of hurt. I'll take a look at Trident Maples
instead.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 21-05-2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
Emilie-
Thanks for the warning on Silver Maple. . .I have the feeling you've
stopped me from a world of hurt. I'll take a look at Trident Maples
instead.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

In that I have not googled it, my husband recalls our first house had
poor landscaping.
We were renting at the time and could not take it upon ourselves to add
top soil and seed.
So I would ask others before you gave up on the Silver Maple.

Thanks again for your response.
Bette

Old 21-05-2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Emery Davis wrote:
On 20 May 2006 18:35:17 -0700
[...]

Such a wealth of information. Thanks ever so much.
The man who mows our lawn has helped eliminate the Chickweed and now
our place is looking more like a golf green w/o the dandilions.

Now our neighbors are speaking to us. LOL
Actually we have lovely neighbors with pristine lawns and we would like
to see our area looking nice.

On our way home from church this morning, we saw quite an elaborae
setting for a bare, boring front lawn.
A large area of the plastic picket fencing housed a place for a rock
garden, as well as an area of small bushes and Impatience. On either
side were two flowering trees. : )
Bette

Old 22-05-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

"Bette" expounded:

My husband and I recently moved to Pa and our front yard is quite
expansive.
Owning an acre of property, the back yard is filled with trees.
In that our front yard is bare of any trees we like the Red Maples.
But then coming from New England the burning yellow is also quite nice.

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?
We have a man who mows and cares for our lawn. He would purchase and
plant the trees in the fall.
Thanks.
Bette

Bette, please try to stick to maples that are native to your area.
Norway maples aren't, and they're very invasive, around here they're
replacing many of our native maples in the woodlands - not a good
thing. They're a nice shade tree, but it's at too high a price.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 22-05-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Ann wrote:
"Bette" expounded:
Bette, please try to stick to maples that are native to your area.
Norway maples aren't, and they're very invasive, around here they're
replacing many of our native maples in the woodlands - not a good
thing. They're a nice shade tree, but it's at too high a price.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Ah, Boston. My husband and I hail from Massachusetts. We love the
luscious colors of fall and would enjoy a Red Maple or Sugar Maple, and
only want to plant two or three trees.
Thanks for your input.
Bette

Old 23-05-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Hines

"Bette" wrote:

mleblanca wrote:
A very nice maple is Trident Maple, Acer buergeranum
Silver maple is a very weak tree and here in the North Valley
is very disease prone. I don't recommend it.

Look here for trident maple and other trees

http://selectree.cagr.calpoly.edu

Emilie
NorCal

Again thanks for your help. We had dinner with our son and his family
last night and he wondered why we didn't like the Oak Tree, seeing we
had them at our other house.
The leaves take FOREVER to fall and all those acorns.

Try a Pin Oak (don't know the Latin). It is a member of the oak family,
which

a) doesn't have acorns (or ones that grow and fall)
b) The leaves don't fall until the spring time.

I've got one, my folks had one growing up. No mess at all, but a slow
grower. Still a nice tree.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Old 23-05-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

John Hines wrote:
"Bette" wrote:

Try a Pin Oak (don't know the Latin). It is a member of the oak
family,
which
a) doesn't have acorns (or ones that grow and fall)
b) The leaves don't fall until the spring time.

I've got one, my folks had one growing up. No mess at all, but a slow
grower. Still a nice tree.

If the leaves fall in the spring time ~ where is the shade for the
summer months?
Perhaps I missunderstood. Thanks for your time in sharing this
interesting tree.
Bette

Old 23-05-2006, 09:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

"Bette" expounded:

If the leaves fall in the spring time ~ where is the shade for the
summer months?
Perhaps I missunderstood. Thanks for your time in sharing this
interesting tree.

Many oaks hold their leaves over the winter (brown) until the new
leaves start to emerge in the spring. It's actually a PITA here,
because you end up having to rake them in the spring, rather than
doing all the leaf raking in the fall. I like oak leaves, however,
for compost, and well-chopped for mulch.

Old 23-05-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Ann wrote:
"Bette" expounded:

If the leaves fall in the spring time ~ where is the shade for the
summer months?
Perhaps I missunderstood. Thanks for your time in sharing this
interesting tree.

Many oaks hold their leaves over the winter (brown) until the new
leaves start to emerge in the spring. It's actually a PITA here,
because you end up having to rake them in the spring, rather than
doing all the leaf raking in the fall. I like oak leaves, however,
for compost, and well-chopped for mulch.

Now that makes sense. Thanks
Years ago my father taught me how to hold a rifle, stand, breath and
fire. It was a .22 Rimfire rifle and I shot my first deer. Not only
did I have to learn how to hunt but also field dress the animal - or
skinning. I was fifteen and it was great.
For the past several years I have enjoyed hunting deer with my son and
his buddies in Pa.
Combining the sport of horseback riding and hunting was a blast.
I used acorns to lure or track deer. That was the only time an acorn
found favour in my life.

Then we went to Maine to hunt Black Bear. Again the guys were
responsible for transporting horses as we made our way through a dense
forest.
But, it was the Greenhead flies that drove us and the horses nuts.
Never did see a bear that day, so we ended up just riding for the day.
Bette

Old 24-05-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

John Hines wrote:
"Bette" wrote:

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?

Poplars are a fast growing hardwood.

John thanks for your help. Yesterday we spent some time with our
landscaper.
We decided up on a row of Blue Spruce, eliminating the leaves in the
fall.
Bette