Old 19-05-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default Fast growing Maples.

My husband and I recently moved to Pa and our front yard is quite
expansive.
Owning an acre of property, the back yard is filled with trees.
In that our front yard is bare of any trees we like the Red Maples.
But then coming from New England the burning yellow is also quite nice.

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?
We have a man who mows and cares for our lawn. He would purchase and
plant the trees in the fall.
Thanks.
Bette

Old 20-05-2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Bette wrote:

My husband and I recently moved to Pa and our front yard is quite
expansive.
Owning an acre of property, the back yard is filled with trees.
In that our front yard is bare of any trees we like the Red Maples.
But then coming from New England the burning yellow is also quite nice.

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?
We have a man who mows and cares for our lawn. He would purchase and
plant the trees in the fall.
Thanks.
Bette

In general, the faster the growth, the more likely you will have breakge
from wind. Bradford pears ar notorious around here for that.
However, I must say my Chinese (Lacebark) Elm is considered a 'medium'
growing tree but is growing faster than I expected. I like it. Few pest
issues, small leaves, dappled shade, interesting bark. check 'em out

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 20-05-2006, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Bette wrote:

My husband and I recently moved to Pa and our front yard is quite
expansive.
Owning an acre of property, the back yard is filled with trees.
In that our front yard is bare of any trees we like the Red Maples.
But then coming from New England the burning yellow is also quite nice.

In general, the faster the growth, the more likely you will have breakge
from wind. Bradford pears ar notorious around here for that.
However, I must say my Chinese (Lacebark) Elm is considered a 'medium'
growing tree but is growing faster than I expected. I like it. Few pest
issues, small leaves, dappled shade, interesting bark. check 'em out

Carl

Thank you for your info and for taking the time in doing so. : )
Bette

Old 20-05-2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Carl-
Do you know if that Laceback Elm is also resistant to Misteltoe? I
need to make a tree selection before too long. I have a old Modesto
Ash that is riddled with it, and will require replacement.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 20-05-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
Carl-
Do you know if that Laceback Elm is also resistant to Misteltoe? I
need to make a tree selection before too long. I have a old Modesto
Ash that is riddled with it, and will require replacement.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

I have no idea! What a great question.

a quick 'googling' indicates Chinese Pistache (nice tree, a friend has
one and likes it) might work and be m'toe resistant. Or you might find a
taller variety of Crepe Myrtle and train for a tree-like form.

maybe someone knows of a list of relative reisitance to parasites of
various landscape trees.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 20-05-2006, 10:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

My favorite fast growning tree (3' a year) is Metasequoia glyptostroboides
(Dawn Redwood). It is a deciduous conifer. Frequently planted as a
specimen tree, but looks good grouped as well.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. com...

Old 20-05-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

John Wheeler wrote:
My favorite fast growning tree (3' a year) is Metasequoia glyptostroboides
(Dawn Redwood). It is a deciduous conifer. Frequently planted as a
specimen tree, but looks good grouped as well.
_________________

Thank you all for your help.
Bette

Old 20-05-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I'd say we are in search of the "ultimate" perfect tree. . .One that is
beautiful, one that is the right size, one that isn't too messy, and
especially one that is disease and parasite resistant;-)

My ole Modesto Ash trees are way beyond their expected life in years.
The cost of having the Misteltoe taken out of them near annually, is an
expense I hope to shy away from in future years when they become
replaced.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 20-05-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Hines

"Bette" wrote:

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?

Poplars are a fast growing hardwood.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Old 20-05-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

I had a Chinese Elm in my back yard years ago that was about 40 ft tall
and you could spend your life just picking up sticks under it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 21-05-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

John Hines wrote:
"Bette" wrote:

My question is are there other trees beside Maples that will grow
faster?

Poplars are a fast growing hardwood.

We had poplars at our other house and they nearly drove us crazy, in
that the root system sought out water.
We have a well in our front yard so I might want to choose a differnt
tree.

Today, we noticed the lovely maple trees and how they enhance a bare
yard.
Thanks for you info

Old 21-05-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Mel M Kelly wrote:
I had a Chinese Elm in my back yard years ago that was about 40 ft tall
and you could spend your life just picking up sticks under it.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Again thanks for your input. My husband and I like the maple trees and
have most of the summer to choose the ones we want.
Bette

Old 21-05-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I was out walking the neighborhood and looking at trees today. I found
an absolutely amazing Silver Maple a few blocks from my home.

Anyone, know the good, the bad, and the ugly about Silver Maples???

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 21-05-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
I was out walking the neighborhood and looking at trees today. I found
an absolutely amazing Silver Maple a few blocks from my home.

Anyone, know the good, the bad, and the ugly about Silver Maples???

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Silver Maples have a surface root
problems.
OR - my lawn was not fed enough grass.
Thanks Myrl.
Bette

Old 21-05-2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
I'd say we are in search of the "ultimate" perfect tree. . .One that is
beautiful, one that is the right size, one that isn't too messy, and
especially one that is disease and parasite resistant;-)

My ole Modesto Ash trees are way beyond their expected life in years.
The cost of having the Misteltoe taken out of them near annually, is an
expense I hope to shy away from in future years when they become
replaced.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

A very nice maple is Trident Maple, Acer buergeranum
Silver maple is a very weak tree and here in the North Valley
is very disease prone. I don't recommend it.

Look here for trident maple and other trees

http://selectree.cagr.calpoly.edu

Emilie
NorCal