Old 19-05-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
GrlIntrpted

Default Eggplant strawberry disaster

For photos of the problem please refer to Alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
under the same subject line.

As you'll note in the photos, the plant was chopped in half on one plant.
And the other plant the leaves were pulled off and left on the ground. There
were 5 more eggplant plants but nothing remained of them. The plants were
about a foot and a half in size with fairly large leaves so it couldn't be a
cutworm. I'm also attaching a photo of a strawberry that was eaten through.
My garden is behind a five foot fence with chicken wire that is running
along the bottom (2 feet height) so that smaller critters can not get in.

I know that deer can easily jump over, but they would leave foot marks, and
there are none. I've inspected the ground around, and don't see any holes,
nor do I see any prying in the fence anywhere.
I was wondering what it might be. We do have a lot of groundhogs, deer,
beavers, cottontail rabbits, moles, and lots and lots of birds, Central New
Jersey.
I grow lettuce less than 20 feet away, tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers and
nothing was touched. Any clue?

-M

Old 19-05-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Seamus

GrlIntrpted wrote:
[...]

Boids, dirty, rotten, stinkin boids! ("The Producers")

Old 19-05-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
GrlIntrpted

"Seamus" wrote in message
oups.com...

Boids, dirty, rotten, stinkin boids! ("The Producers")

You mean birds? What kind of birds would do that?

Old 20-05-2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Squirrels on hanggliders? Definitely a case for Jonathan Creek. Sorry, don't
have
a clue. You could try setting up some traps and/or Have-A-Hearts.

Sherwin D.

Old 22-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Seamus

Birds, yes - crows and jays, mostly. Orioles and others will often
damage fruit.

Old 22-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Seamus