Old 21-05-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
weretable and the undead chairs

Default variegated wild violet

I have been fighting wild violets in my front yard since about six
years ago when I intentionally planted some that I dug up from a field
that was about to be bulldozed for a development. I leave some alone
in the yard well away from the beds, but I have been trying to
eliminate them from some of my planting beds with smaller perennials
and annuals since they tend to just take over. This year I found one
under a shrub that has very lovely green and white variegation.
Flower was the same as the others.

Since I have no idea what the seed from this violet will do, I was
wondering what to do to propogate it. Just dig it and divide it? Or
leave it alone and let it make little bulblets or whatever they are
called under the soil? I know it is hard to kill violets most of the
time but since this one is pretty I figure I am far more likely to
murder it. =)
Old 21-05-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

I'd say leave it alone, and watch for seedlings around it. I too, asked
anyone on the newsgroup years ago to SEND me their violets, as I had NONE
over here in Fairy Holler..........LOL well, I've tucked them in three
places. and am finding them in EVERY pot, and in places I have no idea how
they got there! but I love them, and would prefer them rather than the Vinca
major that I fear I'll be plagued with forever...................and all
this rain we're receiving has encouraged the assault on the vinca overtake
to huge proportions! I'd dig it up, though, and pot it and watch for
seedlings like their parent. A variegated violet sounds
cool.......................
madgardener in Fairy Holler in Eastern Tennessee who still finds violets in
the most unusual places.........(like the old office chair that mosses have
set up a colony and now a violet is growing in the middle of the moss on the
seat part of the chair! LOL)

Old 23-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

[...]

I never heard of one like that. Maybe you have something special. I
would like one in my collection. All of a sudden this spring on a
narrow side of the house three varieties have sprung up, a purple, a
white, and a speckled one. I marked the speckled ones and won't let
anybody mow or spray them. I am hoping the speckled one will propagate
and was wondering about the best thing to do.

At some point, I'm going to have to have the yard sprayed for dandelions
as they are out of control. That will probably kill the violets for
awhile, too. But I am worried about getting mist on new plants I've set
out so was thinking of enduring it for this year until the plants are
better established. I won't let them spray at the side of the house, I
didn't want it touched, will weed it myself, but my son mowed down the
center. He said he watched the staked violets. I would like a huge
colony of them there eventually because little would grow there and it
it too narrow an area to put much else. If I put raspberries there like
I would like it might be too shady for them or they could get so thick
you couldn't get through there which would not be a good thing, plus
they might ruin the violets.

There is a spot by the meter I would like to plant something because it
gets a lot of sun. It has been bare for years now, so I wonder if there
has been a chemical spill there.

I've got the speckled ones marked by stakes, maybe just leave them alone
and see if they propagate themselves.