Old 24-05-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Bennett

Default stump grinding and sod

I had an 18" pear tree stup ground up today. Can I just spread the dirt and
wood chips around and lay sod or do I need to remove the chips? Will the
chips hurt my Zoyzia sod?

Old 24-05-2006, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Jeff Bennett" wrote in message
. ..
I had an 18" pear tree stup ground up today. Can I just spread the dirt

and
wood chips around and lay sod or do I need to remove the chips? Will the
chips hurt my Zoyzia sod?

my experience, giving rise to my advice, remove the chips. Hunks of wood
chips in grass are not a good idea. If there is saw dust get rid of as much
of that as possible as well.

rob

Old 24-05-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Jeff

The grindings are made up of what amounts to fresh chips. That's if the
tree was not symplastless (which you may call dead). Some of the grindings
will me mostly soil. That would be ok. I would not try to grow sod on top
of fresh grindings. You want to let the grindings compost for about a year
before using them as a mulch. If you need to know why, let me know.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

"Jeff Bennett" wrote in message
. ..
I had an 18" pear tree stup ground up today. Can I just spread the dirt

and
wood chips around and lay sod or do I need to remove the chips? Will the
chips hurt my Zoyzia sod?

[IMG] code is On

stump grinding debris r.bartlett United Kingdom 3 03-05-2005 03:47 AM
stump grinding Jeff08171972 Gardening 7 22-09-2004 03:44 PM
Wood Chippings from Stump Grinding Harry Ziman United Kingdom 4 03-05-2004 10:09 PM
Stump grinding aftermath Clem Gardening 3 21-06-2003 04:20 AM
Leftovers From Stump Grinding Alison United Kingdom 1 21-11-2002 05:44 AM