Old 25-05-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jawfish

Default extension cord recommendation for electric mower needed

I just purchased my first lawn mower.
It is a Black & Decker Lawn Hog 12 Amp 18" Electric Mulching Mower model
MM575.
The table for selecting an extension cord is confusing.
The model is recommended for lawns up to 100'.

The cords listed for 12-16 Amps are 120V SJTW 14/3 for 25 feet and 12/3 for
50 feet. No recommendations at all for over 50 feet.
You can see my confusion since it is supposed to be recommended for 100'
lawns.

I need 75' to reach my fence line and parkway.
Should I go with a SJTW 12/3 gauge 50 foot cord and add a 25 foot cord when
mowing the perimeters?
Or should I get a SJTW 10/3 cord (not even mentioned at all in the table)?

Jawfish

Old 25-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Registered User

Smile

Jawfish I just purchased my first lawn mower.
It is a Black & Decker Lawn Hog 12 Amp 18" Electric Mulching Mower model
MM575.
The table for selecting an extension cord is confusing.
The model is recommended for lawns up to 100'.

The cords listed for 12-16 Amps are 120V SJTW 14/3 for 25 feet and 12/3 for
50 feet. No recommendations at all for over 50 feet.
You can see my confusion since it is supposed to be recommended for 100'
lawns.

I need 75' to reach my fence line and parkway.
Should I go with a SJTW 12/3 gauge 50 foot cord and add a 25 foot cord when
mowing the perimeters?
Or should I get a SJTW 10/3 cord (not even mentioned at all in the table)?

Jawfish

i know that this cord is a little more than what u wanted but to me i would rather go the 100 foot cord than have two sections of cording that might be of different gauges and amperages. maybe try the link below it should give u the information u need to enable u to find a cord for your mower. good luck, sockiescat.
http://authors.aspalliance.com/aspxt...sin=B00004SQF0
Old 01-06-2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
fran

I have that lawn mower and a 100' ft outdoor extension cord I
inherited from Dad. He got it to run power tools, so it's pretty
hefty. I have no problems with running the lawn mower on it.

By the way - I really like the mower - it handles damp long grass just
as well as short dry grass. So long as you realize that mowing with a
cord will change the way you mow, you should have no problems.