Old 16-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered User

Question Briggs & Statton mower broken start cord

Hi there, I have a broken start cord and looking at the cover to the starter pulley it looks to be rivetted on. If this is the case I guess I will have to drill these out to get into the pulley and fix the rope back on. Anyone done this on a B&G and confirm I need to go in through the rivets?
Many thanks
Old 17-05-2005, 06:11 AM
pied piper

--
andrewfmuir

be careful if you open up the fly wheel case the spring coil may fall out
and that is very hard to put back in

Old 17-05-2005, 08:39 AM
MM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:11:20 GMT, "pied piper"
wrote:

"andrewfmuir" wrote in message

Hi there, I have a broken start cord and looking at the cover to the
starter pulley it looks to be rivetted on. If this is the case I guess
I will have to drill these out to get into the pulley and fix the rope
back on. Anyone done this on a B&G and confirm I need to go in through
the rivets?
Many thanks

--
andrewfmuir

be careful if you open up the fly wheel case the spring coil may fall out
and that is very hard to put back in

There must be a tool the professionals use for this, though. Speaking
as a former motor mechanic, one does have to take great care where
springs are concerned.

MM
Old 17-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:39:19 +0100, MM wrote:

I have a broken start cord and looking at the cover to the
starter pulley it looks to be rivetted on. If this is the case I
guess I will have to drill these out to get into the pulley and
fix the rope back on.

From memory of mine the recoil starter and flywheel cover is one unit
and pop riveted together as you say. Wander over to the Briggs &
Stratton website, you should be able to find the complete engine
manual.

be careful if you open up the fly wheel case the spring coil may
fall out and that is very hard to put back in

The flywheel cover carries the recoil starter assembly. No need to
mess with the flywheel itself. Having said that when taking the recoil
assembly apart the spring is more likely boing out in a nasty vicious
sort of way, trying to have a finger or three in the process.

Speaking as a former motor mechanic, one does have to take great
care where springs are concerned.

Slow and careful. Work out what is holding the tension and release it
slowly and in a controlled manner if you can. Coil springs, as in
clock, can be very nasty if not treated with respect.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 17-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Sla#s

"pied piper" wrote in message

"andrewfmuir" wrote in message

Hi there, I have a broken start cord and looking at the cover to the
starter pulley it looks to be rivetted on. If this is the case I guess
I will have to drill these out to get into the pulley and fix the rope
back on. Anyone done this on a B&G and confirm I need to go in through
the rivets?
Many thanks

Which HP?
Some B&S start ropes can be re-fitted by winding the spring pully up all the
way then backing it off to when the hole in the pully lines up with the
outer hole. Lock it there (I use long nose mole grips) and use a bit of thin
wire (vine wire) to poke through and attach the rope to it and gently pull
it through and tie the figure of eight knot.

Slatts