Old 27-05-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
vivian

Default Cucumber leaf wilt

My cucumber plants are thriving, but for every eight or nine leaves
that have the size, rigor, and health of elephant ears, I'll have one
or two leaves that have the look and feel of wet kleenix -- and
they're all on the same plant. Any idea what causes this? Is there
anything that can be done to restore their turgor? Would I be better
to excise the wilted leaves before they fester, turn brown, and
attrack micrscopic diners? Or should I just let them be?

viv
Old 27-05-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"vivian" wrote in message
My cucumber plants are thriving, but for every eight or nine leaves
that have the size, rigor, and health of elephant ears, I'll have one
or two leaves that have the look and feel of wet kleenix -- and
they're all on the same plant. Any idea what causes this? Is there
anything that can be done to restore their turgor? Would I be better
to excise the wilted leaves before they fester, turn brown, and
attrack micrscopic diners? Or should I just let them be?

viv

There's a fungus cucumbers & melon plants can get. Seed companies mention
which varieties are resistant, but even so, some still succumb to whatever
it is. Although there are weird chemicals you can use to control it, I've
heard good things about spraying the plants with a solution of water &
baking soda. Of course, nobody ever tell show much baking soda is right. I'd
try a couple of heaping tablespoons in a quart of water.