Old 29-05-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
BB531

Default what kind of tree

Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob
Old 29-05-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"BB531" wrote in message
news9Feg.2058$4I3.628@trndny08...
Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

These are called tulip trees where I live.

Old 29-05-2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Mon, 29 May 2006 16:18:28 GMT
BB531 wrote:

Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Yes, tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipifera. Also known as "Yellow Poplar"
for reasons that I've never understood. Can anyone explain it?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 29-05-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fragile Warrior

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 May 2006 16:18:28 GMT
BB531 wrote:

Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Yes, tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipifera. Also known as "Yellow Poplar"
for reasons that I've never understood. Can anyone explain it?

-E

They call them "Tulip Poplars" here in Indiana. They have very soft wood.
We had a HUGE one (3' in diameter at the base) come crashing down in a storm
that wasn't all that bad. I'd avoid having a big one near anything
valuable.

Old 29-05-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel-Donnie Kelly

Yes it is a Tulip Poplar and is the Indiana State tree. They also call
it a YELLOW poplar because when you saw the lumber it has a yellow tent
to it. Our ancestors love this tree because termites won't mess with it.
They sided their barns with it and unpainted it would last 100 years. It
is not real hard but great for framing. My house is framed complete with
it. I also paneled some rooms with it. when exposed to the light it
turns a soft brown and after several years it is hard to tell from
walnut.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down
town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc

http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird

Old 30-05-2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mel-Donnie Kelly wrote:
Yes it is a Tulip Poplar and is the Indiana State tree. They also call
it a YELLOW poplar because when you saw the lumber it has a yellow tent
to it. Our ancestors love this tree because termites won't mess with it.
They sided their barns with it and unpainted it would last 100 years. It
is not real hard but great for framing. My house is framed complete with
it. I also paneled some rooms with it. when exposed to the light it
turns a soft brown and after several years it is hard to tell from
walnut.

===========
Didn't realize it was the Indiana State tree. I always noticed the one
at the Indiana rest stop (next to the vending machine room) on the way
back from lower MI.

There was an earlier thread about the same tree last month. As an
update the neighbor across the street finally has some flowers this
year. The trees (2 of them) are taller than her two story house.
They survived some nasty winds that ripped whole trees from the ground
a few years back (but of course trees smaller back then).

Old 31-05-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

BB531 wrote:
Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Looks like Tulip Popular if it's in the SE USA

Tom J

Old 31-05-2006, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Fragile Warrior wrote:

They call them "Tulip Poplars" here in Indiana. They have very soft
wood. We had a HUGE one (3' in diameter at the base) come crashing
down in a storm that wasn't all that bad. I'd avoid having a big
one
near anything valuable.

I live just north of Atlanta, GA and have 1 on the back of my property
that is over 5 feet in Dia. & around 80 feet tall with the 1st limbs
above 50 feet. It would make a lot of furniture framing!!! Hope it
falls towards the woods if it ever comes down, because it would reach
the house.

--
Tom J
Some mistakes are too much fun

Old 31-05-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fragile Warrior

"Tom J" wrote in message
ink.net...
BB531 wrote:
Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Looks like Tulip Popular if it's in the SE USA

Tom J

Or even the midwest.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
BB531

Fragile Warrior wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
ink.net...

BB531 wrote:

Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Looks like Tulip Popular if it's in the SE USA

Tom J

Or even the midwest.

It's in PA.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
BB531

BB531 wrote:
Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fragile Warrior

"BB531" wrote in message
Fragile Warrior wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
ink.net...

BB531 wrote:

Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Looks like Tulip Popular if it's in the SE USA

Tom J

Or even the midwest.

It's in PA.

I think the idea is that it is in a LOT of places.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Callen Molenda

"Fragile Warrior" wrote in message

"BB531" wrote in message
> [...]
Fragile Warrior wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
ink.net...

BB531 wrote:

Could someone please tell me what kind of tree this is?
http://www.bickta.com/tree/tree.htm

Bob

Looks like Tulip Popular if it's in the SE USA

Tom J

Or even the midwest.

It's in PA.

I think the idea is that it is in a LOT of places.

Because it's POPULAR!!!

Callen in VA