Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sally

Default New Lawn - It's Alive!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Great advice from you all so far. I really appreciate this group.

My newly seeded lawn is about a week old now. It has germinated and there
are lovely little fine green hairs all over the place now. I'm so
excited!!!

My question is... how do I know when to give it the first mow? The
seedlines are about 1 inch tall now, and the soil is quite wet due to recent
rain and watering. I'd be afraid to walk on it now, for fear of crushing
the poor things - and certainly not with a lawn mower.

So do I wait another week? two? month?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sally

Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 16:32:28 GMT, Sally wrote:
So do I wait another week? two? month?

I prefer 2-3 months or more, but it depends on the species. The area I planted
last October got its first mowing in late April; mixed fescues, PNW.

Kay

Old 05-06-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sally wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Great advice from you all so far. I really appreciate this group.

My newly seeded lawn is about a week old now. It has germinated and there
are lovely little fine green hairs all over the place now. I'm so
excited!!!

My question is... how do I know when to give it the first mow? The
seedlines are about 1 inch tall now, and the soil is quite wet due to recent
rain and watering. I'd be afraid to walk on it now, for fear of crushing
the poor things - and certainly not with a lawn mower.

So do I wait another week? two? month?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sally

Wait until it reaches about 4'', and mow back to a height of 3''. I
actually had the "grass police" give me a warning as my newly planted
lawn was too high for the village standards. Please!

I had the grass growing for about 5 weeks before I was forced to mow
it, although it was over the 3'' mark, so it was time anyway.