Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
vimster

Default need help choosing outdoor furniture

hi guys, i have a couple of questions i hope to get answered. i am
redoing my garden and furniture is part of the makeover.

1. we are the kind of people who use our garden pehaps once every week
or two. up to now the issue is always the same - we plan to have
dinner in the garden and the furniture is dirty - stuff from the trees,
bird droppings, dust, muck, etc. if its really dirty we end up eating
inside. is there any fabric or finish or type of furniture that i
should be looking at to reduce the clean up time. i even tried those
cheapo plastic white chairs and find it hard to clean of the muck.
ideally i go out there with a hose an hour before, hose off the
furniture, wipe it quick and its good to go.

2. i see a lot of fake rattan and wicker furniture for sale at Costco
and Target. it looks good but how does it compare with the real thing
and, most importantly, is it easy to clean:

veronica

Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Registered User

Smile

vimster hi guys, i have a couple of questions i hope to get answered. i am
redoing my garden and furniture is part of the makeover.

1. we are the kind of people who use our garden pehaps once every week
or two. up to now the issue is always the same - we plan to have
dinner in the garden and the furniture is dirty - stuff from the trees,
bird droppings, dust, muck, etc. if its really dirty we end up eating
inside. is there any fabric or finish or type of furniture that i
should be looking at to reduce the clean up time. i even tried those
cheapo plastic white chairs and find it hard to clean of the muck.
ideally i go out there with a hose an hour before, hose off the
furniture, wipe it quick and its good to go.

2. i see a lot of fake rattan and wicker furniture for sale at Costco
and Target. it looks good but how does it compare with the real thing
and, most importantly, is it easy to clean:

veronica

if u are having trouble cleaning down the cheapo plastic chairs then the fake rattan and wicker would be a lot worse the muck and bird droppings etc would be really hard to clean off of that stuff because of the way they are woven.
i would probably stick with your plastic chairs but go for something that is a little heavier and has a good finish on the plastic so that they are easier to clean.
hosing them down sounds like a plan and the easiest way to clean things up.
thats my opinion anyways for what its worth lol. good luck, sockiescat.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I wouldn't opt for wicker - either the real thing, or the new
synthetic. . .I'd look for wrought iron. You can hose it down, and
it's more durable.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 05-06-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

vimster wrote:
i even tried those
cheapo plastic white chairs and find it hard to clean of the muck.

The white plastic chairs you bought - did they have drain holes in the
seat? If not, drill a few 1/4" holes in the lowest portion of the
seat. This will allow rainwater to quickly drain off instead of
standing there for days attracting dust and algae and "muck".

Old 05-06-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

get plastic sheeting from the fabric store or hardware store. work out some system
to anchor it so it wont blow away and COVER your furniture. when you want to use it,
it is not only CLEAN the nice soft comfy cushions will be DRY. Ingrid

we plan to have
dinner in the garden and the furniture is dirty - stuff from the trees,
bird droppings, dust, muck, etc. if its really dirty we end up eating
inside.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 05-06-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On 3 Jun 2006 22:44:25 -0700, "vimster" wrote:

hi guys, i have a couple of questions i hope to get answered. i am
redoing my garden and furniture is part of the makeover.

1. we are the kind of people who use our garden pehaps once every week
or two. up to now the issue is always the same - we plan to have
dinner in the garden and the furniture is dirty - stuff from the trees,
bird droppings, dust, muck, etc. if its really dirty we end up eating
inside. is there any fabric or finish or type of furniture that i
should be looking at to reduce the clean up time. i even tried those
cheapo plastic white chairs and find it hard to clean of the muck.
ideally i go out there with a hose an hour before, hose off the
furniture, wipe it quick and its good to go.

That works well. If they are really dirty you can use something like
409 spray and a sponge. For stubborn dried bird dropping or algae
growth use 1/4 cup bleach, a quart of soapy water, and a scrub brush.

2. i see a lot of fake rattan and wicker furniture for sale at Costco
and Target. it looks good but how does it compare with the real thing
and, most importantly, is it easy to clean:

Rattan and wicker would be difficult to clean. Wooden furniture is
easier to clean, lasts longer than plastic, but expect to pay more for
the wooden furniture.

veronica

Old 05-06-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardennut

Why bother washing the furniture? You can buy cloth covers for those
cheapo chairs. You can take them off and wash them after use.