Old 06-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Registered User

Default is it too late?

does anyone know if too late plant shrubs or trees? I'm getting a late start in my yard. I'd like to plant a couple of dogwoods if they still have a chance of surviveing. thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"greengrass" wrote in message

does anyone know if too late plant shrubs or trees? I'm getting a late
start in my yard. I'd like to plant a couple of dogwoods if they still
have a chance of surviveing. thanks

You could try. It would have time to get a root system going, but I
don't know what the heat would do to a newly planted dogwood. Most
places have stopped shipping. I ordered one just under the wire for the
last spring shipment and it failed to leaf out.

I don't recommend a bare root one. I lost my balled and burlapped or
potted (can't remember) one too though years ago. It's best to plant
them in the spring, then you are going to know if they are going to grow
or not.

--
greengrass

Old 06-06-2006, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"greengrass" wrote in message

does anyone know if too late plant shrubs or trees? I'm getting a late
start in my yard. I'd like to plant a couple of dogwoods if they still
have a chance of surviveing. thanks

--
greengrass

I planted the last potted holly shrub today in zone 6. I've planted balled
and potted trees and shrubs as late as the later part of June with complete
success. Make sure not to disturb the rootball when removing the burlap or
pot. Keep the shrub or tree watered after planting.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

greengrass expounded:

does anyone know if too late plant shrubs or trees? I'm getting a late
start in my yard. I'd like to plant a couple of dogwoods if they still
have a chance of surviveing. thanks

If they're potted and you keep them well watered you should have no
problem.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 01:34:01 +0000, greengrass
wrote:

does anyone know if too late plant shrubs or trees? I'm getting a late
start in my yard. I'd like to plant a couple of dogwoods if they still
have a chance of surviveing. thanks

If they are container grown, yes you can plant them now. However, I
would set up a soaker hose and let it run for at least 6 hours after
you plant it, and before you remove the tree from container, be sure
to thoroughly saturate the root ball BEFORE it goes in the ground.

[IMG] code is On

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - late or late? Tyra Trevellyn Gardening 0 05-05-2004 05:05 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM