Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal

Default Cucumber beetles, help

My wife went out to garden today and found my largest pumpkin plant
decimated by these little black and white striped beetles, maybe 1/8" in
size. I think they are cucumber beetles. She sprayed them with some chemical
general purpose veggie and fruit tree insecticide. Is there a better way to
take care of these? What is a recommend way to keep them from damaging
plants?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sgt.Sausage

"Zootal" wrote in message
My wife went out to garden today and found my largest pumpkin plant
decimated by these little black and white striped beetles, maybe 1/8" in
size. I think they are cucumber beetles. She sprayed them with some
chemical general purpose veggie and fruit tree insecticide. Is there a
better way to take care of these? What is a recommend way to keep them
from damaging plants?

We've fought this (and other) battles for years. It's a "no win" situation.
Last year, we finally gave up and started using the chemicals. Life is now
much better.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

"Sgt.Sausage" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
My wife went out to garden today and found my largest pumpkin plant
decimated by these little black and white striped beetles, maybe 1/8" in
size. I think they are cucumber beetles. She sprayed them with some
chemical general purpose veggie and fruit tree insecticide. Is there a
better way to take care of these? What is a recommend way to keep them
from damaging plants?

We've fought this (and other) battles for years. It's a "no win"
situation.
Last year, we finally gave up and started using the chemicals. Life is now
much better.

The chemicals worked better then, say, pyrethrum (sp) or rotenone? I've not
tried them, but one dose of chemicals, and there are a bunch of dead
beetles, and my pumpkins and squash just might make it. I don't like the
pesticides because I don't know what effect they might have on the plants
and ultimately us humans.