Old 04-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Mike H.

Default Cucumber Beetles and Maple Trees

I need someone to tell me whether or not the bacteria spread by cucumber
beetles can also cause damage to autumn blaze red maples.

My maple got infested with spotted cucumber beetles this season and some of
the leaves are about half eaten. And now some of the leaves are displaying
wilt-like symptoms. I've read that bacterial wilt is usually terminal for
trees, so
I'm scared.

Anybody know for sure?

TIA
-Mike

Old 04-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Suzy O

It's seems rather early for cucumber beetles to be out, and I've never heard
of them being a pest on any trees. You wouldn't have a photo of the beetles
on the maple, would you?? And, what zone are you in?

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Mike H.

I'm in north-eastern Texas (zone 7, I believe). And there is a cornfield
about three blocks from my house, so they probably migrated in from there.
And it's been about 90 degrees here lately.

No photo of the beetles, but I know its them, for sure.