Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Default evergreen w/dead spots, some brown tips

i don't know what kind it is, but it gets small red berries; no cones.
quite tall, at least 10ft; conical shape. mature tree. foundation
planting near house.

there are dead spots on it. if i cut them out will it grow new green?

also, i'm seeing some brown spots. what causes that?

and i've also seen some needles turn a yellowish green and fall off.

we had a very mild winter (pa), but there's been a lot of rain lately.
still
behind in rainfall, tho.

any ideas?

thank you

Old 11-06-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" wrote in message
i don't know what kind it is, but it gets small red berries; no cones.
quite tall, at least 10ft; conical shape. mature tree. foundation
planting near house.

there are dead spots on it. if i cut them out will it grow new green?

also, i'm seeing some brown spots. what causes that?

and i've also seen some needles turn a yellowish green and fall off.

we had a very mild winter (pa), but there's been a lot of rain lately.
still
behind in rainfall, tho.

any ideas?

thank you

I've got a similar situation with an enormous pine tree in my yard. Not
being an expert on these things, so I don't know what's normal with these
plants. I'll be calling the NY cooperative extension for advice. You should
do the same. Go here, and find the phone number to call:
http://www.extension.psu.edu/

Old 11-06-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

thank you joe.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" wrote in message
thank you joe.

By the way, I didn't recommend that resource to avoid giving you an answer.
:-) I don't have one. Rather, there are often things happening on a local
basis with plants, and a local resource turns out to be the best one. For
instance, my thyme plant didn't make it through the winter. In 35 years of
gardening here, I've never lost a thyme plant. When I went to buy a new one,
the woman who runs the nursery said she'd never sold so many thyme plants by
early May - the plants had died for quite a few gardeners. The theory is
that we had a winter with almost no snow cover, and some of us probably
didn't mulch the plants enough to compensate for this.

All the advice on the web or newsgroups may not take local conditions (or
plant diseases) into account. It has to be found locally.