Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
brsher

Default Packman Broccoli

I live in mid-Missouri and have 4 Packman Broccoli plants in my garden. I
planted them in early May and they seem to be growing very well.
I've read where most broccoli plants are cool-weather plant. My question is
whether these plants, now coming into the heat of the summer,
will do well and produce broccoli heads? Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

They should do alright. Watch for the green worms that like to get into them. I spray mine with a garden spray from Wal-Mart that is safe to use up to 24 hours before harvesting to get rid of the worms. When you cut the heads, soak them in salt water for 15 to 30 minutes and then shake them out. Go back every few days and keep cutting the smaller heads that they will keep forming.
They taste so much better when you grow them yourself.

I try to find plants and plant them now through the first of July. Those will be ready in the fall. I usually have to start the seeds myself and plant them at the right time. I like to put in about 24 and blanch the heads after the salt soak, and freeze them. If you don't want to go to that much trouble, plant them in 2 week intervals and you can harvest until the first hard freeze.

Dwayne

Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message ...
What's the name of that garden spray?

Sorry, but I dont have any of it left. I got it a couple of years ago and must have used it all. I think it is called vegetable or garden spray for insects. I used two kinds in the past 5 years. One that was ready to use and an aerosol. In the instructions ittells you that it is safe to use up to within 24 or 48 hours of harvesting.

Dwayne

Old 13-06-2006, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
brsher

Sure enough the I saw three green worms eating away at the leaves of the
broccoli plants. I sprayed them with an insect repellant called
"Garden Safe". I wonder how often I'll have to spray?

Broccoli Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Broccoli and romaine lettuce: good container plants??? Mick709 Gardening 1 24-03-2003 12:20 PM
purple sprouting broccoli A.Malhotra United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 05:56 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM