Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Default Sick peonies.

I have transplanted about 20 peonies within the last couple of years. Some
bloomed the following year and some have not bloomed for me ever. I was
told that they were probably put too deep into the ground, so I raised
several of them up some. Now most look OK and have buds on, but they havent
opened. Some have bloomed and have quit for the year. Some have one or two
leaves that look curled up from insects. And some have all the leaves
looking like they are trying to close up.

I have them all on two soaker hoses (one 35 ft long and one 65 ft long). I
leave the water on for 30 to 45 minutes every 4 or 5 days, and the dirt is
moist around the plants. Could I be giving them too much water or could
they not be getting enough? I havent given them any fertalizer for going on
2 years now.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get them going for next year? I
have been told that it takes a couple of years after transplanting to get
them to respond, but two bloomed this year after being moved last fall.

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

Old 12-06-2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Peonies can take as long as 3 yrs to start blooming again. They should be
back to full flower production by the third or fourth year.They do not like
being moved. Are they planted deeper than 2 inches?

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...ranspeony.html
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7

Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

peonies can be fussy. they need to be in full sun, and I give them some manure
around their "drip line". I have one peony that got crowded by bushes, I removed the
bushes but 2nd year later only 1 flower. the bush is nice a big and gets more sun
hoping it will produce next year. Ingrid

"Dwayne" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 13-06-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I don't know, I didn't measure. I put them down so the red shoots were
visible above ground like they were before transplanting them.

Dwayne

Old 13-06-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Mine are in full sun now after transplanting. When I planted them I had
about 80 feet of sidewalk and driveway to border with flowers. I planted an
iris, rose, iris, peony, iris, rose, iris peony etc. I wanted to have
flowers blooming all year. I thought I had given them plenty of room but
this year the roses and iris have spread out and it looks like a solid wall
of flowers. I could divide the iris now that they have finished blooming.
I did get rid of most of the spotted leaf problems on the roses.

Dwayne

"Dwayne" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan