Old 14-06-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
GH

Default gloxinia question

Hi everyone,

I have gloxinias that fowered profusely for months. Now the stems are
going brown. One had root rot - the bulb was brown. What colour should
the healthy bulb be? If cut, is it brown? I guess not.

Should I take them all out and cut the bulbs? to make sure it is not
root rot? What can I do?

Thank you so much. Any help appreciated.

Alexandra

Old 14-06-2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"GH" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi everyone,

I have gloxinias that fowered profusely for months. Now the stems are
going brown. One had root rot - the bulb was brown. What colour should
the healthy bulb be? If cut, is it brown? I guess not.

Should I take them all out and cut the bulbs? to make sure it is not
root rot? What can I do?

Thank you so much. Any help appreciated.

Alexandra

Don't they have a rest period between blooming periods when the top dies
down? You're not supposed to water them at this time or they'll rot.

Old 15-06-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
GH

I don't know if it is the rest period or root rot surfacing. As I have
one that had root rot and the stems went brown and collapsed like they
seem to do with the ones I still have (which are still flowering now or
reflowering t be more accurate).

So I'm puzzled... would this be root rot or rest period? How to tell
the difference between the 2? I would cut the bulb but I don't know
which colour is supposed to have a healthy one. Yellow? White? Brown?

Old 15-06-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know if it is the rest period or root rot surfacing. As I have
one that had root rot and the stems went brown and collapsed like they
seem to do with the ones I still have (which are still flowering now or
reflowering t be more accurate).

So I'm puzzled... would this be root rot or rest period? How to tell
the difference between the 2? I would cut the bulb but I don't know
which colour is supposed to have a healthy one. Yellow? White? Brown?

I never cut into my Glox bulbs so don't know what color they should be.
Watering should be slowed and the plant allowed to dry off and die down when
you see the flower production come to a stop and the leaves look yellowish
and worn. I called it their rest period and let them be for a few months,
then repotted them and put them in a sunny west window to start another
cycle. Here's a website covering this beautiful plant. I don't grow them
anymore due to space limitations indoors.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor...s/gloxinia.htm

Old 16-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
GH

So the stems never went dark brown on your plants? Two of mines have
stopped flowering but they are growing new leaves and stalks and part
of the old stem is brown and wilting.

Old 16-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
GH

Old 16-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
So the stems never went dark brown on your plants? Two of mines have
stopped flowering but they are growing new leaves and stalks and part
of the old stem is brown and wilting.

Eventually as I dried them off the stems would darken and shrivel. I would
gently remove them just above the tuber or bulb. Mine didn't grow new
leaves until they were replanted and watering begun again. I think maybe
you didn't allow them to go into their rest period but are forcing growth by
watering them when they should be resting.

Old 17-06-2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
GH

It is very nice of you to help. Thank you very much!
I kept watering because it seemed cruel to let them without water when
they still had leaves on but I suspect the fertiliser for this second
flowering. It was a formula for flowering plants not the special
african violet thing. Puzzling...
Do they absolutely have to have a rest period?

Old 17-06-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is very nice of you to help. Thank you very much!
I kept watering because it seemed cruel to let them without water when
they still had leaves on but I suspect the fertiliser for this second
flowering. It was a formula for flowering plants not the special
african violet thing. Puzzling...
Do they absolutely have to have a rest period?

Yes, if you want them to live and bloom year after year. Stop fertilizing
when the blooms are slowing down and the plant looks tired. Water less and
less until the tops die down. It's not cruel, it's necessary for their
survival. Wait a few months, repot and water them again. Start to use dilute
fertilizer once growth is moving along.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor...s/gloxinia.htm

You may find all the information you need on the above site or use your
favorite search engine to bring up much more on these lovely plants.

[IMG] code is On

Florist Gloxinia Horkhy Gardening 0 23-01-2010 02:25 PM
Gloxinia's fertilizing noel888 Gardening 0 23-04-2009 12:23 AM
Best way to propergate Gloxinia leaf Boothbay Gardening 1 31-05-2006 01:33 AM
Help for my Gloxinia! Joy Brunetti Gardening 2 25-11-2004 04:23 AM