Old 20-06-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Okra problems

It's mid June, the rain has stopped, the weather is nice. Not hot, but in
the upper 60s, lower 70s, with maybe into the 80s next week. My Okra just
won't grow. It sits there, puts out little yellow leaves, and just sits.
Everything else is growing great, my tomatoes are exploding, my squash is
taking off, corn looks good. What is special about Okra that I'm missing? Is
it still not warm enough? Are there special soil requirements that I may be
missing?

Old 21-06-2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Matthew Reed wrote:
It's mid June, the rain has stopped, the weather is nice. Not hot, but in
the upper 60s, lower 70s, with maybe into the 80s next week. My Okra just
won't grow. It sits there, puts out little yellow leaves, and just sits.
Everything else is growing great, my tomatoes are exploding, my squash is
taking off, corn looks good. What is special about Okra that I'm missing? Is
it still not warm enough? Are there special soil requirements that I may be
missing?

You got it with that last statement on "not warm enough." Okra doesn't
hit it's stride until temps are in the 80's and 90's are even better.
We're running in the 90's every afternoon that it's not raining and the
okra is prolific. I live in SW Louisiana, real okra country. HTH and
good luck.

George

Old 21-06-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Matthew Reed wrote:
It's mid June, the rain has stopped, the weather is nice. Not hot, but in
the upper 60s, lower 70s, with maybe into the 80s next week. My Okra just
won't grow. It sits there, puts out little yellow leaves, and just sits.
Everything else is growing great, my tomatoes are exploding, my squash is
taking off, corn looks good. What is special about Okra that I'm missing?
Is it still not warm enough? Are there special soil requirements that I
may be missing?

You got it with that last statement on "not warm enough." Okra doesn't hit
it's stride until temps are in the 80's and 90's are even better. We're
running in the 90's every afternoon that it's not raining and the okra is
prolific. I live in SW Louisiana, real okra country. HTH and good luck.

George

That makes sense. I could not figure out why other things grow good and the
okra just sits there. We are on the verge of summer weather, and I just
reseeded a 10 foot row, maybe this time around they will take off.

I'm guessing that beans also like warmer weather? And cantaloupe? They are
not growing as well as I'd like, it's been a cool wet spring here, and we
really haven't had any warm weather yet. It still drops into the 50s at
night, and if we are lucky it gets up into the 70s during the day. Forecast
for next week - 80s.

Old 21-06-2006, 11:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Matthew Reed wrote:

That makes sense. I could not figure out why other things grow good and the
okra just sits there. We are on the verge of summer weather, and I just
reseeded a 10 foot row, maybe this time around they will take off.

I'm guessing that beans also like warmer weather? And cantaloupe? They are
not growing as well as I'd like, it's been a cool wet spring here, and we
really haven't had any warm weather yet. It still drops into the 50s at
night, and if we are lucky it gets up into the 70s during the day. Forecast
for next week - 80s.

Andy comments:

I think you are right about the cantalope. We have had a very hot
spring in North Texas and my cantalope patch is prolific. So many of
the
things that I'm going to have to give a lot away.... I have access to

lake water, and can keep them watered, but I am sure the hot, sunny,
weather is a good thing for them..

Thanks for the post about Okra. I will try it for sure, maybe even
try to
plant some tomorrow if it's not too late....

Andy in Eureka, Texas