Old 23-06-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

Default Butterfly bush question

I planted a butterfly bush earlier this spring that is now about 4.5 feet
high at the tip of the longest branch. The bush has mulitple canes coming
from the rootball which range from 2 to 4.5 feet high. On the tallest
branches, which are the newer, soft wood growth, the leaves have a whitish
cast to them, whereas the leaves on the shorter, hardwood branches are very
green with no whitish cast. At first I thought it might have powdery
mildew, but looking more closely, the leaves don't have that wrinkled look
that rose bush leaves get when they have powdery mildew. So, because the
color difference is between leaves on soft-wood and hardwood branches, I'm
wondering if this is just the way that leaves on soft wood branches look.
Can someone with butterfly bush experience enlighten me? I don't want to
treat it for powdery mildew if that's not the problem. Thanks in advance!

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

********
Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.

Old 23-06-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sounds normal. pinch the very tips to get them to branch out a little.
Butterfly bush has 2 distinct types of leaves on the same plant, winter
and summer foliage I would bet you are comparing them.

Old 23-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Natty Dread" wrote in message
[...]

What the other person said is correct. Leave the plant alone and just
observe. You haven't owned it long enough to know what's normal. Although
other peoples' descriptions can be helpful, plants can behave in slightly
different ways depending on lots of other factors, all of which are within
the range of normal.

Do not treat the plant for powdery mildew. Do NOT.

Old 23-06-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Seamus

Natty Dread wrote:
[...]

That's normal for new leaves.

Old 24-06-2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. It's nice to know that I'm right
for a change! ;-)

ND

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
Question about Butterfly Bush Dan Gardening 0 02-05-2003 04:32 AM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM