Old 25-06-2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Tomato leaves curling...is normal?

I just noticed that the leaves of my tomato plants are starting to curl
upwards. The plants are otherwise healthy, quite vigorous, and just starting
set fruit. Is this normal, or something to worry about?

Old 25-06-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Neil

Hi Matthew,

I don't know if it's normal but mine are starting to do the same thing
so I guess I'm more bumping this to the top than answering. I'm gonna
read up on it later so maybe I'll find an answer then.

Cheers
Neil

Old 25-06-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

It is most likely caused by stress. To dry or wet or newly
transplanted? Or there may be a sap sucking pest in the curled leave.
Finally, it may be one of several virus, this is the least likely, this
year I had a grape tomato with a virus. With a virus the leaf not only
curls but becomes mutated and does not even look like a 'mater leaf.

Old 25-06-2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

I have changed the watering lately - I completed a sprinkler system, and now
it gets a good soaking twice a week. I would not thing that would stress it.
Also, the temp has increased about 20 degrees this last week. I'll watch it
to see where this goes. My tomatoes are doing very well, I would hate to
loose them all

oups.com...

Old 26-06-2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Matthew Reed said:

I have changed the watering lately - I completed a sprinkler system, and
now
it gets a good soaking twice a week. I would not thing that would stress it.
Also, the temp has increased about 20 degrees this last week. I'll watch it
to see where this goes. My tomatoes are doing very well, I would hate to
loose them all

There may be nothing wrong with them. Some tomato varieties tend to
leaf curl. Get a nice mulch on those tomato plants if you haven't already.
Mine are mulched with a mix of shredded leaves and cocoa shells. If
I had finished compost, I'd use a layer of that. Grass clippings (from
lawns that haven't been treated with herbicides) would work. I like to
dry them out on the driveway before putting them on the plants.

I've got 11 varieties planted and one of the varieties ('Anna Russian') has
really odd curly leaves but is perfectly healthy and vigorous.

Matthew Reed wrote:
I just noticed that the leaves of my tomato plants are starting to curl
upwards. The plants are otherwise healthy, quite vigorous, and just
starting
set fruit. Is this normal, or something to worry about?

(attributed to Don Marti)