Old 05-07-2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default Caladiums in ground

I'm in the D/FW area (sunset 33? 8b?) will caladiums overwinter here in
the ground? Will they look OK next year? I find conflicting info on the
net, it seems many folks pull the bulbs/rhizomes whatever and overwinter
in show boxes, other folks say they never look as good either way and to
just get new ones to plant when the ground warms up.

I'd just like to know what to expect - I doubt I will go to the trouble
to pull the bulbs up as they are in very 'root-y' areas and were hard to
plant anyway. I could mulch over them if that would help.

any experience with this?

tia

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article m,
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I'm in the D/FW area (sunset 33? 8b?) will caladiums overwinter here in
the ground? Will they look OK next year? I find conflicting info on the
net, it seems many folks pull the bulbs/rhizomes whatever and overwinter
in show boxes, other folks say they never look as good either way and to
just get new ones to plant when the ground warms up.

I'd just like to know what to expect - I doubt I will go to the trouble
to pull the bulbs up as they are in very 'root-y' areas and were hard to
plant anyway. I could mulch over them if that would help.

any experience with this?

tia

Carl

I treat them as annuals here. A bit pricey but white in heavy shade
is a wonderful contrast. I have tried to store them over winter in my
basement. Had a few weak survivors hence I consider them wonderful
annuals.

Zone 8 perhaps a heavy mulch?

Good luck!!

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

A friend discovered a very unconventional storage method that worked for him
and it has worked for me. Instead of storing them in a cool place, I store
them in a warm place. I dig up the caladiums and put them in a box with
vermiculite. Then I put them on the furnace. (Not as warm as it sounds).
They stay dry. I suspect that dampness is the biggest problem with
over-wintering them indoors. I then re-plant them when the temperatures
reach above 60 degrees. They've been coming back for a number of years this
way.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 06-07-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"John Wheeler" wrote:

A friend discovered a very unconventional storage method that worked for him
and it has worked for me. Instead of storing them in a cool place, I store
them in a warm place. I dig up the caladiums and put them in a box with
vermiculite. Then I put them on the furnace. (Not as warm as it sounds).
They stay dry. I suspect that dampness is the biggest problem with
over-wintering them indoors. I then re-plant them when the temperatures
reach above 60 degrees. They've been coming back for a number of years this
way.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"William Wagner" wrote in message

et...
In article m,
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

[...]

Thanks I'll give it a try! My tubers seemed to be rotting in character
bt early spring. I covered them in sulfur and vermiculite. I'll give
DRY and warm a go!

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 08-07-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Commercial caladium growers grow their bulbs in full sun in Florida. The
leaves bleach and do not look good, but the bulbs grow large. I doubt that
you can produce a large bulb by growing the plants in the shade.

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
y.com...
I'm in the D/FW area (sunset 33? 8b?) will caladiums overwinter here in
the ground? Will they look OK next year? I find conflicting info on the
net, it seems many folks pull the bulbs/rhizomes whatever and overwinter
in show boxes, other folks say they never look as good either way and to
just get new ones to plant when the ground warms up.

I'd just like to know what to expect - I doubt I will go to the trouble
to pull the bulbs up as they are in very 'root-y' areas and were hard to
plant anyway. I could mulch over them if that would help.

any experience with this?

tia

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

[IMG] code is On

Advice needed - how to save Elephant Ears and caladiums for next year. ctlady Gardening 2 02-09-2007 07:23 PM
Caladiums-- rob z Gardening 1 12-10-2004 03:48 AM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 02:12 AM
Flagstone Labyrinth/Ground Cover trayn Gardening 9 20-06-2003 08:38 AM
Ground Cover Suggestions Needed Erika Gardening 2 31-03-2003 03:32 PM