Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Blalack77

Default Easy Hydroponics?

What is an easy hydroponics method, that can be constructed with basic
equipment and is easily mantained?

Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rick F.

In article .com, Blalack77 wrote:
What is an easy hydroponics method, that can be constructed with basic
equipment and is easily mantained?

Yup.. I did my first Hydroponics using some round shallow buckets
like you'd use to empty the oil in your car engine and punched
4 holes in the bottom (perhaps 1/2") in a square pattern and
placed big cotton roping from one hole to one of the holes near
it (effectively making a "U" sort of pattern) and doing the same
for the other two holes and then tying knots on the end of each
string sticking out from the bottom of the holes.. This "wholly"
pot is the one that gets the growing medium (I don't recall what
I used at the time anymore -- but I'm thinking vermiculite?) and
then you place the wholly pot inside the non-wholly put on top of
some non-metalic spacers (so the solution doesn't get out) and the
cotton wicks should be able to touch the bottom to wick up the
fluid which needs to be a solution of water+food. I had a great
time toying around with that stuff when I was about 15 years old
or so.. Unfortunately, I've not done it in MANY years, so my
memory might be a bit foggy on the details..

HTH!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Blalack77

So, what about seedlings? How do I know when its time to move them
into the hydroponic unit?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rick F.

In article . com, Blalack77 wrote:
So, what about seedlings? How do I know when its time to move them
into the hydroponic unit?

I don't know that it really matters -- as long as you've got nutrient
enriched water for the plant to consume, I'd think it would be fine..
I *think* in my case a long time ago, we had planted seeds directly in
the hydroponic medium and didn't transplant the (already living) plants
into the medium. I'd say that IF you go that route, you should try to
remove as much soil as possible from the rootball of the plant to avoid
mixing soil with your vermiculite medium, although I guess it really
doesn't matter much I suppose..

[IMG] code is On

FS: Hydroponics Gear ^Doc^ Gardening 1 30-11-2003 03:12 PM
Non-Circulating Hydroponics chris sci.agriculture 5 04-05-2003 11:56 PM
Hydroponics for orchids? Kevin Orchids 2 20-03-2003 03:32 PM
FYI - hydroponics growers Jim Carter Edible Gardening 1 23-02-2003 09:15 PM
hydroponics Bill Shoemaker Edible Gardening 0 30-01-2003 11:30 PM