Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pete E. Kruzer

Default Grinding noise come from Toro Mower self-propel system !

I have a Toro Electric Start Recycler Mower with the Personal Pace
self-propel system. It's about a year and a half old. About 90% of the
time when you start it in motion, or going up a grade, there is a
grinding noise coming from the rear wheels. At least it sounds like
that's where it's coming from.
Once the mower is moving on the level, there is no noise.
Anybody have any idea what could be the cause of this??

Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
chuckie

I would say that the gear in the drive wheel is going bad.
and when it is stress ed say going up a hill it will grind or when you
engage it.
Thats my thought I am not a mechanic
Chuckie
Happy summer

Old 10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered User

Smile

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
I have a Toro Electric Start Recycler Mower with the Personal Pace
self-propel system. It's about a year and a half old. About 90% of the
time when you start it in motion, or going up a grade, there is a
grinding noise coming from the rear wheels. At least it sounds like
that's where it's coming from.
Once the mower is moving on the level, there is no noise.
Anybody have any idea what could be the cause of this??

i agree with chuckie-even though im not a mechanic either lol-it sure does sound like u have a gear problem there. u should maybe contact the dealer u got your toro from and find out if u have warranty on your mower still. its at least worth looking into. good luck with it.
cyaaa, sockiescat.

Old 14-07-2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

I also have a grinding noise. It's the right rear wheel that is
engaging and not the left. When on a hillside with the right side
uphill you'll notice the mower wants to turn downhill. I can only
assume that the woodruff key on the left rear wheel is missing or not
installed. Chuck W.

Old 14-07-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Toro won't admit this, but I believe there is a design issue with the
wheel gear. After a few months of use it cracks. You can remove the
rear wheel to inspect it. The good news is that the warranty covers
the expense of repair. Unfortunately, the replacement part is plastic
too. It *should* be metal.

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
I have a Toro Electric Start Recycler Mower with the Personal Pace
self-propel system. It's about a year and a half old. About 90% of
the
time when you start it in motion, or going up a grade, there is a
grinding noise coming from the rear wheels. At least it sounds like
that's where it's coming from.
Once the mower is moving on the level, there is no noise.
Anybody have any idea what could be the cause of this??

i agree with chuckie-even though im not a mechanic either lol-it sure
does sound like u have a gear problem there. u should maybe contact the
dealer u got your toro from and find out if u have warranty on your
mower still. its at least worth looking into. good luck with it.
cyaaa, sockiescat.

--
sockiescat

[IMG] code is On

Lemons - self fertile or self fertilising David WE Roberts[_2_] United Kingdom 1 05-03-2010 04:44 PM
Toro System Help Mark Gardening 0 19-05-2006 07:29 PM
New Sprinkler System: Rain Bird, Hunter, Toro? Russell Fifer Lawns 5 20-06-2003 10:08 PM
New Sprinkler System: Rain Bird, Hunter, Toro, etc...? RFIFER Gardening 2 12-06-2003 01:32 PM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM