Old 07-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Russell Fifer

Default New Sprinkler System: Rain Bird, Hunter, Toro?

I'm shopping around for a new sprinkler system. Anyone have any experience
with different brands? Seems every lawn irrigation company uses a different
mix of these brands and models. Any suggestions which controller, valves
and heads to get? I have about 1/2 acre that will take about 6 zones. Any
website with this kind of info? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-06-2003, 02:08 AM
JP

I recently had a system installed. I think that the dealer is much
more important than the brand of equipment. I had estimates from
dealers who asked me what I needed watered or who told me what I could
have watered. I chose the dealer who asked me what I wanted watered. I
paid more, but couldn't be more satisfied with my decision. (FWIW,
They installed Toro equipment)

Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I have a mix and match system that I put in and just keep adding to it year
after year, but it's a mix of rainbird, and toro, and I find that they work
equally well. Mine is on a home made controller valve of sorts, my dogs
kept chewing up the prefab units tops, so I bought a simple pvc ball and
cock valve and just go and turn it on and off, plus it allows more pressure
to my sprinkler heads (or so it seems since I can run 7 rainbird type heads
on 3/4 inch pvc and can easily add more as needed, whereas when I had a real
controller valve it struggled with 5 heads).
I particularly like these new rainbird units that have more of a fan spray
instead of the typical arched spray, seems to get better more even coverage,
but each lawn is unique.

"Russell Fifer" wrote in message
news : I'm shopping around for a new sprinkler system. Anyone have any
experience
: with different brands? Seems every lawn irrigation company uses a
different
: mix of these brands and models. Any suggestions which controller, valves
: and heads to get? I have about 1/2 acre that will take about 6 zones.
Any
: website with this kind of info? Thanks in advance!
:
:

Old 19-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Ponyboy

Hunter is the best. The rotors have a strong spring which will never get
stopped from grass growing over the top of it. They have a smooth quiet
motion up to 360 degrees. The popups spray nicely also. Great controller.
Hunter is the way to go.

Old 20-06-2003, 10:08 PM
RFIFER

After a lot of research, talking to about 10 irrigation companies, and
"interviewing" numerous friends/acquantances who have experience with
these systems, I'm going with Hunter I-20 head (you only need the
stainless if your soil is sandy), and a RainBird controller (although
it was a toss-up with a Hunter controller).

I ran into a number of people who had Toro heads, and they either
replace or in the process (as each go bad) of replacing.

Thanks for all the responses, and I guess I'll find out after I get to
test it out! Time wil tell...

RFIFER