Old 13-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Kudzu

Default How to get rid of unwanted fescues

some city workers threw some fescue seed into my yard and now
it has sprouted and grows so fast i have to cut it every few days.
is there someway to get rid of the fescue without hurting my zoysia?
i am thinking of some kind of chemical preparation?

thanx,

k.
Old 13-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Dwayne

I don't know if it will work in your case, cut sometimes letting the good
grass grow another inch or two taller than normal before cutting it, will
kill out crab grass and weeds. You may need to grow it that long all
summer, and it might work within a month or two, but I would think it would
be worth a try.

Otherwise, I have heard of a spray called "over the top" that might work in
your case. You would have to make sure it wouldn't hurt your zoysia and
anything else you have it around, but it was safe to use around a large list
of plants.

Dwayne

Old 14-04-2003, 05:44 AM
B & J

"Kudzu" wrote in message
some city workers threw some fescue seed into my yard and now
it has sprouted and grows so fast i have to cut it every few days.
is there someway to get rid of the fescue without hurting my zoysia?
i am thinking of some kind of chemical preparation?

thanx,

k.

I don't know your zone, but if your zoysia goes completely dormant in the
winter (turns brown with no green), the fescue can be removed in January or
February by spraying it with RoundUp. I did that to the fescue in my bermuda
lawn. I have to admit there was some kill to the bermuda and small bare
spots, but it quickly filled in during the spring and summer, and the fescue
is gone. Be selective in where you spray the RoundUp so that it only hits
areas with green fescue.

John

[IMG] code is On

Unwanted bamboo Jon Bamboo 9 09-03-2004 01:25 AM
unwanted lime trees Gary Eckersall United Kingdom 9 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Could you get shot of Saddam at the same time Gorgeous George United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 09:56 PM
Propagating Fescues? Frank Solis Gardening 1 18-03-2003 10:44 PM
Turf Type Tall Fescues? Where to buy? A. Raasch Gardening 3 17-03-2003 05:44 AM