Old 15-03-2003, 02:20 AM
A. Raasch

Default Turf Type Tall Fescues? Where to buy?

I live in zone 8 (VA) and would like to overseed my lawn with one of the
newer cultivars of tall fescue. I've found the results of studies comparing
many of these cultivars, but can find very few sources of seeds. Other than
GardensAlive.com, Seedland.com, Ampacseed.com and a couple of others, I'm
stumped. Even these sites only list a few of the cultivars I've seen listed
in the studies, and the cultivars listed in the TurfAlive III mix, are not
found eleswhere. Does anyone know where to find seeds like Pick RT-95,
Masterpiece, Scorpio, Rembrandt, Barrington, etc.? I would like to make my
own TTT fescue mix, but can't seem to find many cultivars to choose from.
Can anyone provide links to such sites, or email them to me? Thanks in
advance for any help. Please remember to remove the (NOSPAM) from my email
address if replying directly.

Old 15-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Tim B

A good garden center (as opposed to just any old garden center) should have
an ample supply of quality seed that's appropriate for your area. For here
(southern OH zone 6A) the variety of choice is Crossfire II.

The best time to overseed is fall. The second best time is late winterand
the very worst time to overseed is spring. That's because when you overseed
in the spring the new grass is just getting established when summer hits and
you're going to have to water a LOT to keep it from dying out.

hlink.net...

Old 15-03-2003, 03:44 PM
A. Raasch

Perhaps I'm reading the wrong sources, but everything I've read says fall is
the best time to seed and early sping the second best time. Be that as it
may, I was hoping someone might have links to an internet seed supplier that
would have more variety than the local suppliers. Particularly the newer
varieties of TTT fescue that have fine texture, deep roots and grow slowly.
Of course lower prices due to volume sales would be nice also. I may decide
to wait until fall to do the seeding, but I would still like to find seed
suppliers now. TIA for any help.

"Tim B" wrote in message
.. .
A good garden center (as opposed to just any old garden center) should

have
an ample supply of quality seed that's appropriate for your area. For

here
(southern OH zone 6A) the variety of choice is Crossfire II.

The best time to overseed is fall. The second best time is late winterand
the very worst time to overseed is spring. That's because when you

overseed
in the spring the new grass is just getting established when summer hits

and
you're going to have to water a LOT to keep it from dying out.

hlink.net...

Old 17-03-2003, 05:44 AM
David Simmons

"A. Raasch" wrote in message thlink.net...
Perhaps I'm reading the wrong sources, but everything I've read says fall is
the best time to seed and early sping the second best time. Be that as it
may, I was hoping someone might have links to an internet seed supplier that
would have more variety than the local suppliers. Particularly the newer
varieties of TTT fescue that have fine texture, deep roots and grow slowly.
Of course lower prices due to volume sales would be nice also. I may decide
to wait until fall to do the seeding, but I would still like to find seed
suppliers now. TIA for any help.

"Tim B" wrote in message
.. .
A good garden center (as opposed to just any old garden center) should

have
an ample supply of quality seed that's appropriate for your area. For

here
(southern OH zone 6A) the variety of choice is Crossfire II.

The best time to overseed is fall. The second best time is late winterand
the very worst time to overseed is spring. That's because when you

overseed
in the spring the new grass is just getting established when summer hits

and
you're going to have to water a LOT to keep it from dying out.

"A. Raasch" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Hi, I've had very good results with Plantation TTT fescue (made by
Pennington, I believe), which apparently was ranked #1 in some kind of
national test for drought resistance, color, and density. I've been
able to find it at the local Lowe's, but not at Home Depot, which
seems to have mostly Scott's products. It's not as narrow a blade as
bluegrass or creeping red fescue, but it is very thin for a tall
fescue and seems to be as tough as the mfr. claims. It seems to take a
bit longer to germinate than most fescues (about 2 weeks) so if you're
going to do it this spring, you need to put it down pretty soon. I'm
in your climate zone, and it was green all winter and only faded a
little bit during the drought last summer.

[IMG] code is On

How tall is TOO tall for seedlings? qazwsxed Gardening 3 23-03-2011 09:57 PM
Struggling to find homes for New Zealand Tree Ferns ranging in size from 7ft tall to over 10ft tall. PLEASE HELP [email protected] Gardening 0 26-07-2007 12:12 AM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
How to get rid of unwanted fescues Kudzu Gardening 2 14-04-2003 05:44 AM
Propagating Fescues? Frank Solis Gardening 1 18-03-2003 10:44 PM