Old 18-02-2003, 03:15 AM
SAS567

Default How can robins live with snow on the ground?

Hello,
I saw 3 Robins a week ago and I live in mid-Michigan.I was AMAZED!!!!
We missed the storm you got and we don't have much snow on the ground. I've
been putting out cut up, "out of date" apples that I got from a grocery store,
for the Robins. (There are no worms available.It hasn't been above freezing
since Jan. 8th). Other than my 5 bird feeders, I'm also feeding 13 deer and 21
wild turkeys.
Can't wait until spring!!
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)
Old 18-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Cereoid+10

Yeah, they should file a formal complaint with the state!!!

Guess what? Robins are birds and they can fly to different places in search
of food!!! They have been around for thousands of years and can figure out
what to do all by themselves!!! There isn't 6" of snow everywhere, little
Wobby. Think about it.

The Wobulator wrote in message
I always thought that a robins diet consisted of insects. Imagine my
surprise of seeing a robin yesterday in Dayton, OH with 6'' of snow on
the ground! I can see if it snowed one day and melted a few days
later, but there has been consistently an inch or so of snow on the
ground since December. The temps here have been in the 20's or colder.
I'm originally from Minnesota where there are no robins to be seen
from October through April.
The Wobulator

*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*

Old 18-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Allview

Guess what? Robins are birds and they can fly to different places in search

Nonsense. This is a 1000 mile blizzard we are having. They need some help.

They may be eating things that you are not aware of such as holly berries. If
you want to help, Clear out a small area and put out some apple slices, grapes,
or raisins. The robin will spot the cleared area. They also need water.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 18-02-2003, 02:27 PM
GrampysGurl

I always thought that a robins diet consisted of insects. Imagine my
surprise of seeing a robin yesterday in Dayton, OH with 6'' of snow on
the ground!

Robins enjoy buggies and fruit. Believe it or not but there are lots of buggis
out there hibernating and such. They also enjoy raisins plumped up by boiling
them a short time. I just put a coffee cup with the raisins and water and nuke
for a minute. Providing open water in the winter is actually more important
then food.
Colleen
Connecticut